Companion for bichirs?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AquariumFish

still playing with wet spots
Angels' long fins will probably end up in the bichirs' mouths.
last couple comments you made make it sound like your bichirs are mean :eek:

I got 2 senegal's (the smaller one is 7 or 8 inch I think), an ornate (thats bigger than my smaller Senegal), and a ropefish and none of them display aggression :headshake2: to anything other than feeders ...

one of the Cory's has been with them since day one and she's still snoozing next to them too

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
Bichirs are carnivorous and it is not beyond them to grab tankmates. Your cory is lucky and your bichirs are relatively 'nice' for bichirs. Another side of this is get them hungry and see how they are.

SoBe_fish

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Right now my 2 bichirs are in a 46 gallon (until the 55 *65?* cycles) with 6 tiger barbs, 1 Kribensis (1 1/2 inches long), a few danios, and a small bristlenose and they're not aggressive to them. The only thing bad thats happened in the past few weeks were 2 missing danios (which is understandable).

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Bichirs are carnivorous and it is not beyond them to grab tankmates. Your cory is lucky and your bichirs are relatively 'nice' for bichirs. Another side of this is get them hungry and see how they are.
now there is one thing we can agree on. . . i kept a senegal and a betta in the same 50g tank for over two months, very peacefully. (the filter for a 10g tank i was using had broken so i moved the betta in there, and didn't bother to replace the filter afterward since everything was going so well). i had an outbreak of BBA on my driftwood, and decided to try and "starve" the algae so i reduced feeding in the tank. after about 3 days of less food, my bichir finally decided that the betta would make an acceptable snack.

reptileguy2727

Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
If you will be adding them to the new tank you can move them now. Just move a filter with them so there will be nitrifying bacteria and reduce feeding the first few days.

SoBe_fish

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
What if I just decided to do an all bichir tank? With 2 ctenopomas? Would that be okay?

If so, what smaller sized bichirs would do well?

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I keep Dempsey and Firemouth with mine.

reptileguy2727

Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
An all bichir tank gets full fast. My cousin has a 120 and has four or five bichirs and a few other things. It will be well overstocked as they all get even bigger.

SoBe_fish

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Soooo I could have the 2 bichirs in the tank...a jack dempsey AND a firemouth or just 1 of those?

If I decided to do an african butterfly fish, what can go with them? (fish that wont nip at its fins... or eaten)

@.@ I'm so confused! I have no clue where I'm going with this tank!

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store