Compatibility with Discus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
Discus really don't care about light.
they actually inhabit areas that don't get much sunlight

I keep the lights off untill I get home then turn them on for about 4 hours.

they do fine with low light or ambient light from the room. they can find the food fine in low light.

it's more for your plants than the fish.

True, the plants and the viewer! I have mine on for me, not the fish. It is about 1.5 wpg on my tank so it isn't too bright for them.

Jaykit

Means To An End
Feb 4, 2009
Alberta
Discus really don't care about light.
they actually inhabit areas that don't get much sunlight

I keep the lights off untill I get home then turn them on for about 4 hours.

they do fine with low light or ambient light from the room. they can find the food fine in low light.

it's more for your plants than the fish.
Good point as mentioned. I just wasn't too sure because my tank is down in the basement. There is a window that does provide minimal natural lighting as well as the 8 lunar lights built into my light fixture and wasn't sure that would be enough for feeding in the early morning.

rich_one

AC Members
Nov 7, 2008
Maryland
:lol: Totally agree!

Thanks Ark, its always good reading what other people have gone through with their tanks and fish. I find most of the time I'm just reading through posts online seeing what other people have done or the unfortunate things that happen. It never happens the same each time but I'm getting a better idea of what to expect and pay attention to. And its sounding more and more like I'm going to have to find a new home for all my tetras and some of my plants to make room for the discus. Seems like everyone who gets into discus either goes horribly wrong and they stay away from them or has them take over the all their tanks. Personally I'm hoping for the latter.
in many ways, keeping discus is like keeping any other fish... meaning, stuff happens. it hurts so much more sometimes with discus, because of the financial investment you put into them... and like any fish, you also get an emotional attachment to them. the first time I had discus, I was doing great... until I made a critical mistake during a water change. I had them about a year... they were growing, and doing well... then, while multi-tasking one day during some chaos... I lost track and did not check the temp of the water I was refilling the tank with on a 50% water change.

the fish never recovered. these were juvies I was growing out. talk about a hard lesson.

but here I am, back again! I am currently about to stock a 125 gallon tank, and I can hardly wait to get the fish... I live an hour south of Discus Hans... so you KNOW where my fish are coming from! LOL... going to his fish house to pick them out personally!

-Rich

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store