compatible bottom dweller

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gatotsu77

AC Members
May 17, 2006
Yeah, you could keep MTS for a whole hour in that tank! lol You'll have some very happy clown loaches if you go that route. ;)

I can't think of anything else off-hand that would keep the sand stirred.

The clown loaches might get a bit of free play time out of the MTS, and may even encourage them to dig around in the sand for them. Given a decent starting number (say 25ish) I doubt they'd be able to decimate them all before they reproduced. If I'm not mistaken, most loaches have a hard time eating MTS due to the trap door they have, yes? Are clown loaches able to suck them out of their shells anyway? (hey, since MTS are basically free with most live plant purchases from the LFS, why not give it a shot? Even if they don't eat algae, they will keep the sand moving for you.)

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
The clown loaches might get a bit of free play time out of the MTS, and may even encourage them to dig around in the sand for them. Given a decent starting number (say 25ish) I doubt they'd be able to decimate them all before they reproduced. If I'm not mistaken, most loaches have a hard time eating MTS due to the trap door they have, yes? Are clown loaches able to suck them out of their shells anyway? (hey, since MTS are basically free with most live plant purchases from the LFS, why not give it a shot? Even if they don't eat algae, they will keep the sand moving for you.)
They do suck mollusks out of the shell but considering the structure of their snouts, clown loaches are not as adept in consuming MTS as the yoyo loaches and tiger loaches whose snouts are even more elongated. The last time I saw my MTS, the yoyos were carrying shells around.

Consider a spare tank to breed more MTS though in case the clowns manage to get to them.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
They do suck mollusks out of the shell but considering the structure of their snouts, clown loaches are not as adept in consuming MTS as the yoyo loaches and tiger loaches whose snouts are even more elongated. The last time I saw my MTS, the yoyos were carrying shells around.

Consider a spare tank to breed more MTS though in case the clowns manage to get to them.
:rofl: Mine do that with pond snail shells and fight over them like they are trophies.

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
Thanks for all your inputs!
I finally found true SAE's and they lasted about 2 hrs.!! They were harrassed by my Blue acara, then eaten by my severum. I am cutting down on the lighting and nutrients (I have a planted tank), so hopefully I can find a decent amount of lighting/nutrients to keep the algae at bay but still be enough for the plants.
I did a huge clean out and don't have a lot of plants at this point. All 3 of my clown loaches stir up the sand when they are out. They only come out to play/feed in the morning. My 5 cories stir up the surface sand a bit but thats about it. I finally found a green rubberlip pleco yesterday (hence the delay in posting!). He is doing great and everyone leaves him alone, he is about 3") So, I have an algae eater that should do the trick but the sand...hhmmmmm .........I will look into the MTS and see how the clowns take to them......they have never been introduced to snails before so it will be interesting to see what they do!
I was wonder about a banjo cat or whiptail cat? Are these completely out of the question?
My substrate is approx. 1" - 2" deep.
I found an albino bushy nose pleco (the LFS didn't know that they had him!) but believe it or not, my severum had a good snack!.......the BN was too small. :wall: I should've known.

I will look for some MTS.......do they breed really fast? Should I be concerned about a snail outbreak if my clowns don't eat them?

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
i am NO expert in planted tanks, but from what i have read one of the keys to keeping algae away is to add CO2. with the addition of carbon dioxide, the plants get more efficient at taking up the excess nutrients and can out compete the algae.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I will look for some MTS.......do they breed really fast? Should I be concerned about a snail outbreak if my clowns don't eat them?
They do breed quickly depending on the abundance of food supply. No need to be concerned if they keep breeding. You can throw away some if they become too unsightly for your tank.

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
ok. I think I will try some MTS. I will look for some.
I do have co2 injection. I just have to find a good level of lighting/nutrients I guess. I've been battling some algae for over 2 yrs. now.

thanks.

Reddog80p

Permanently Dechlor'd
Nov 18, 2006
How big is your Severum?

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
He is approx. 8" from tip of tail to tip of head and approx. 5" deep

Last edited:

kooter