Composting

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DJDrZ

AC Members
Jul 31, 2010
Collegeville, PA
I have been putting the trimmings from my tank in my regular compost pile also. I feel much better that I am not the only crazy composter.

@rock I do not want a lush, thick tank of plants with a few fish...I want plants to accent my fish. :) I am doing the CO2 to simply maintain a nice level of CO2 with my lights. I may add my second bank of lights (right now they have my old 50/50 CF in them), so if I do that I may crank up the CO2 to cope with that.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Whoa, next time you're doing a major trim like that, PM me! ;) I'd be happy to take some...and would gladly trade you for some mini water lettuce if you like.

I do compost any plants I have to throw out, recently I decimated my 5 gallon hex because Cyano had covered most of my Crypt wendtii :(

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I only compost in the "non-snow" weather, but it's all good. Doesn't really look like R. indica but I'm not sure...ludwegia? 1 of those bigger leaved stems...

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
i can always take it for trade or for credit, espeically if they are decent sized parts as I really llike having a bunch of potted/bunches plantss in my import tanks to provide security for the imports.

sorberj

wannabe fish whisperer
Sep 14, 2009
McCleary, WA
Real Name
Jerad
I compost my trimmings too! I do recommend though that it if you have a stream or a body of water nearby that you microwave or do something else to make sure that they're good and dead first so they can't get loose.

MoonstruckMuse

AC Members
Mar 4, 2007
I compost all my trimmings! Or well, more specifically, I offer it to my herbivorous fish first, and then take the shreds and put it in my worm bin, where it decomposes rapidly.

Someone mentioned that their compost smells awful... composting usually needs to be AEROBIC unless you're doing it with specific bacteria. As in, it's not composting so much as rotting if you just keep it in anaerobic (sealed, no flow) conditions. I know that sounds nit-picky, but basically you're composting either way, but cultivating different bacteria... and the bacteria in the anaerobic condition are gonna smell like rot. Haha.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store