Confirm velvet?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Something_fishy_in_here

Registered Member
Jul 13, 2015
This is my girlfriend's fish. His name is Pook. We saved him from petco, and he was swimming on his side in the cup, and had almost no fin left.20150919_091459.jpg He does just fine now, however since he's come home, he's been twitchy. Now he's developed this weirdness on his face, and when I went to take the picture, I noticed what looks like it might be velvet with the flash. Can anyone confirm?

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
I think it may just be it's natural coloring. Sometimes they have a gold sheen in the right light.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Tough to tell from the pics. The main thing is to keep pristine water parameters with frequent large water changes.

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
He's been through a lot. Recovering from the poor conditions and the addition of antibiotics have probably left him a bit twitchy. Since his fins aren't in proper health, his twitching could very well be due to him trying to maintain balance.

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
Keep an eye on him. Normally if something is irritating the skin you will see flashing. How is he doing?

Something_fishy_in_here

Registered Member
Jul 13, 2015
Well I gave him a methylene blue bath on saturday as a precautionary thing (in case he does have velvet) because in the pic on my phone, I see gold sparkles. In this pic, not so clearly. We also added a wonder shell to the water..dunno if this actually helps, but I figured it was worth a try. The treatment seems to have helped. He's quite a bit calmer. Only time will tell I suppose.

Reactions: Blueiz
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store