Confused about filters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

maffro

AC Members
Sep 5, 2005
Can someone reccommend a good filter for a well stocked 3ft tank?

im somewhat confused at the choice available, theres so **** many. am i better with undergravel filtration or an internal power filter? or both? can you over filter a tank? i currently have a clear seal SP2500L in it, it seems to be doing the job but creats a massive amount of bubbles and quite a strong current in the tank to the extent that its uprooting live plants and the like. the fish dont seem to bothered but, as this is the first time ive owned fish and have only done so for about 5 months i am unfamiliar with some of my fishd normal behaviour so i dont know if the filter is affecting them in any way.

i have to appologise for the parragraph of gibberish but im just finished night shift and im absoloutly shattered.

if anyone can make sense of or answer any of my questions id be greatful

thanks

phanmc

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Visit site
What is that, a 30 gallon tank?

I don't use undergravel filters so I can't comment on them. Don't use internal filters either and am not familiar with the clear seal SP2500L model so I won't comment on it.

I highly recommend canister filters like Fluval and Ehiem but they are more pricey than most filters (some would argue that they are more cost effective in the long run though).

If canisters are too much of an investment then the next popular choice are HOB (hang on back or hang on tank) power filters. They're easy to use and are cheap, hence the popularity. Popular brands are Aquaclear and Marineland Penguin and Emperor series.

There's no such thing as overfiltration unless you're plastering the fish against the tank glass by the current. Live plants can be a hassle sometimes if you don't plant them deep enough, and sometimes you just have to weigh them down until they take root.

LongTime

AC Members
May 10, 2004
Florissant, MO
Visit site
What type of fish do you have? I am asking because some fish require more filtration than others. I have canister, HOB (Hang on the Back), and even an undergravel currently in use but not all on the same tank. :) I have a diatom I use from time to time. I have even used air driven sponge filters depending on what I want to do. Each has it pros and cons.

You cannot, IMO, over filter[/] a fresh water aquarium. You can create a current or have more water movement than the fish prefer. Some fish like a fast current and others do not. To my understanding, you can over filter a salt tank if you have filter feeders. (Please correct me if I am wrong, I am not a salt tank person.)

jaylin

Don't ask if you don't want to know
Aug 14, 2005
Denver-ish Colorado.
What kind of fish?

If you plan to do your regular, everyday, tropical fish ... I'd go with a HOB built for one tank size over what you have. Actually, for a 30 gal, I'd probably do two 20 gal HOB's. But I'm weird like that. I like to have back up filtration in case one filter burns out. It also gives you two places for bacteria to live. So if you have to replace a filter ...

If you're planning on doing something more exotic or messy, you might want to look into canister filters, but ... I get the impression that you don't have a lot of experience with fishies yet. So, I say stick with a HOB for now. If you decide later that you really love having fish, you'll want a bigger fish tank anyway.

maffro

AC Members
Sep 5, 2005
Thanks for the help, appreciate it.
The clear seal filter i have is a canister filter. i have looked at bio-wheels and hob filters but they seem more widely available in the states than here in the uk. Ive heard the bio-wheels are good but cant find any in the UK. i live on the isle of lewis in the western isles of the uk and as it is a small island we only have one general pet store which doesnt stock a great veriety of fish equipment. it sells the fish but has a very poor range of everything you need to keep them. i rely mostly on ebuying for my water treatments and the likes

LongTime

AC Members
May 10, 2004
Florissant, MO
Visit site
WHAT KIND OF FISH DO YOU HAVE?

We cannot give you good filter advice untilyou tell us what kind of fish you have.

chuckj

AC Members
Nov 11, 2004
Try jumping on Ebay for an emperor or penguin. I like my Filstar II on a 55 gallon setup.

bob1962

AC Members
Sep 3, 2005
Woodstock NY
I have the marineland penguin, bio wheel. I used to have a fluval submersible, but the bio wheel works alot better, and even keeps my over stocked tank clear. I recomend if you go with a bio wheel to leave your old filter in for a month and a half until the bacteria grow on the wheel.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store