Consistently high nitrate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AbbeysDad

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Real Name
Michael
My first thought was high nitrates in the source water, then a bad test kit, but both have been ruled out. Clearly there's some unseen evil in the tank making it a nitrate factory. When all else fails, it's time for a tear down.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
What kind of substrate do you have? Plain washed gravel? Any additives?

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Substrate is black Petco brand aquarium sand. I did vac some debris last night and hit the areas with no plants. Also pulled the filter and cleaned it as best I could, and got a bunch of crud out of the pump housing. Changed filter media, took out about 8 gallons, and the nitrate dropped to around 20. :)

Reactions: Tifftastic

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Nitrate climbed back up, but I tested after feeding. Going to do a water change tomorrow (today) after work. Interestingly, the ammonia stayed under .25 after messing with the filter. Zero nitrite, as usual. Fish still highly active and eating heartily, and Archer and Lana are chasing each other all over the tank. I don't know anything about breeding BNs, so I'm wondering if changing out so much water is triggering something.

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
It had dropped to 20, then was between 20 and 40 when I tested last night. But I had fed frozen bloodworms and a few shrimp pellets within an hour of testing.

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
How much of a cube of Blood worms are you feeding? With your fish load, should be about half. Who are you feeding the shrimp pellets to?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store