Controlling guppy fry. Can i keep only male guppies?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dest

AC Members
Jul 3, 2005
Hello :)

I want to keep guppies in my tank, but im a bit concerned about their ability to breed very fast! As a solution, would it be possible to keep only male guppies in one aquarium? Would it be ok with them? I'd keep about 6 of them :)

If in the future i'd like to breed them i'd be growing few female guppies in smaller aquarium, so when i need it i can let them together to breed.

But the main question remains the same - is it ok to keep only male guppies in tank?

Thanks for answers.

dest

AC Members
Jul 3, 2005
Also, same applies for females. Can i keep females only in the tank? :)

And what is better (if possible) - only females or only males? thanks

Coldfins

Flounder Dont Be Such A Guppy
Nov 24, 2006
Decatur, Al
Yes it perfectly ok to keep only males or females.
It doesn't matter which.
It's also recommended if you dont wish for fry.

If you want a colorful tank male fancy guppies spice a tank up, while female guppies can be little less colorful.

Ulan

AC Members
Sep 22, 2006
With only males in the tank, they sometimes harrass the weakest male to death, then the next one, and so on. Only females is a valid option, but not very colorful and, more importantly, all available females are pregnant :).

I've got a mixed group of 9 females and 1 male. They get fry all the time. I've got 6 ghost shrimp in the tank, too. Survival rate of fry: 0% ;)

amosf

Border Collie Nut!
Nov 25, 2004
Australia Mate!
bcs4me.com
Once you have a few adults in the tank the fry survival rate is very low. Guppies seem very good at self population control, but if they have any trouble there are things you can add to the tank :)

But all males work fine.

Ulan

AC Members
Sep 22, 2006
amosf said:
But all males work fine.
Not always. That wasn't a theoretical scenario I was talking about in my last post. It happened at my friends' place. They had to find a different solution than an all male tank.

amosf

Border Collie Nut!
Nov 25, 2004
Australia Mate!
bcs4me.com
Well, the males often seem to harrass each other to death even in a mixed tank.

As I say, Guppies seem to have good self population control :)

tim

Ms.Bubbles

AC Members
Sep 26, 2005
I've got an all-male guppy tank and it works fine. I suggest you give them:

1. lots of space
2. plants to block their line of vision/hide in, and
3. a few companions so that any aggression can be spread out over the group (don't overcrowd the tank though, because this can lead to aggression).

IMO you're doing a great and responsible thing by controlling the guppy population BEFORE it arrives. :)

Ulan

AC Members
Sep 22, 2006
Ms.Bubbles said:
IMO you're doing a great and responsible thing by controlling the guppy population BEFORE it arrives. :)
I'm not sure whether it's all that great. Keeping one gender groups is not exactly allowing the guppies to show natural behavior. I prefer the approach of controling the offspring.

Coldfins

Flounder Dont Be Such A Guppy
Nov 24, 2006
Decatur, Al
What size tank are you getting?
I think we forgot to ask what size you were getting....that will help with the number of guppies you get.
Well if you want to have male and females...its a ratio of 2 females per male.
I keep a small school of Neons with my female and male guppies.
They are like little parana's when it comes to taking care of fish fry.
I actually had a fancy Black Lace female guppy about to have a batch of fry and I misjudged her estimated birthing day and my Neons snapped up her fry.
I saved only one....he swam out of hiding a day later. LUCKY ME!! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store