Converting hob filter to not disturb water surface

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zin

AC Members
Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Anyone have a DiY plan or ideas on how to convert a hob filter to not disturb the water surface.

Planted tank wanting to keep co2 in

Andy16

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Wisconsin
Visit site
maybe if you added a peice of acrylic or glass to the water fall part making it go into the water a little bit or making it flat so it trickles off slower.

johnnyxxl

fishy friend of many
Mar 1, 2004
western NC
Visit site
that might do it may I ask for what are you doing this?

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I find that by having the water level up over the lip of the water return it really minimises the disturbance.

jeffro426

AC Members
Dec 17, 2003
Visit site
Using a peice of glass or acrylic and put it where the spilway goes into your tank in such a way that it doesnt let the water agitate the surface..i really wouldnt worry about it too much though..i used an AC500 on a planted 55 and it didnt move the plants around very much at all with minimal surface movement.

Tempest

AC Members
Jun 8, 2002
Wichita, KS
zin- I use penguins with the biowheels removed on my 55 gal.. I've rubberbanded sponges on the output to keep my CO2 where I want it. (I'd buy canisters next time but didn't know better at the time. :D)

zin

AC Members
Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Well ok heres what i ended up with

The pump is one i found that is 10gph over the rating of the filter
the hose and flow diffuser are parts from a magnum i picked up as replacements.

with the head from the magnum part the pump ends up pumping at basically the exact same flow.

Cut out a little notch and it works great.

i need to clean ><

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
Very clever! Interesting solution. My only concern would be over what happens when the flow thru the filter decreases (due to media getting dirty, impeller collecting crud and becoming less efficient, etc.)? Won't the secondary pump run dry if the HOB throughput decreases?

Jim

zin

AC Members
Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
im using a light filter floss so it doesnt clog to easy, the head the pumps needs to pump the water up gets higher the lower the water is and since its only a few gph that the filter and pump will be off so far from what i notice is they basically balance themselfs out. (hope that made some sense)

So far its been running great for almost 2 weeks fishload is 6 guppies fed dailyish(sometimes i skip a day)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store