Convict...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
thank you for your comment ^_^ she is lovely.

Keep an eye on the fry as they grow that they dont also end up with
birth defects.
the fry will be grown out to no more than 1 inch and used as feeders...so no passing on the traits.^_^

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
another question....

it seems they are done spawning...she let him do his things with the eggs..and has chased him off now. he cannot cross the the log.. but he can go over it and behind it and in the plant.

is it normal for the female to chase the male off?.... she just nudges him away if he comes close,no nipping or anything.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
Hopefully the tail was removed surgically (though it is a disgusting practice) if she is breeding.
breeding for feeders not sale or giving away, so it does not really mater

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
Hopefully the tail was removed surgically (though it is a disgusting practice) if she is breeding.

more on that note....how would it be better if the poor fish was tortured for this look...rather than be bred for it?

she functions perfectly fine..swims just as fast if not faster than the male, and so far seems to be a very good parent ...why would it be bad to be born without a tail?........ i don't get it, i hope for the fish's sake she was born that way and not chopped up.

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
Because breeding deformed fish (who were born that way) passes on the bad genetics. At least you're saying they'll be feeders. I have an absolutely gorgeous male fryeri whose face is slightly crooked. Since that could be genetic he will never see a female even though it's likely most of the offspring would look normal. It still passes on those bad genes. He will also be with me the rest of his life since there is a good chance someone would try to breed him since he is such a nice fish (aside from the fact he resembles Sylvester Stallone).

I was not saying I hope the fish had been tortured, just saying I hope it's not passing on poor genetic material, like my fish i mentioned above if I were to breed him.

Posted on mobile.aquariacentral.com

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Yeah Lab just meant as far as breeding so its not passing on faulty genes. Thats good though that youll be using the fry and babies as feeders. Thats a good move. I hope you have good spawns then for feeders.

Oh and yes it is natural for the mother to sometimes wanna keep the male away from the eggs after fertalization. Just an over protective mother. Perfectly normal. As long as he doesnt beat on her or visa versa I wouldnt worry about it.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
they spawned on 2/7/11.....when can i expect the eggs to hatch?

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store