Convicts & Angelfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Merkicus

AC Members
Jan 25, 2010
Yikes a 1-1.5 foot plec?

that guy will need a much larger tank.

your mix is not good.
please rethink the load (bio) on the tank.
It could be a bit of an overestimate..maybe around a foot? He's pretty big - I used to have him in a 20g as a baby and he was stuck in there at that size barely able to move around. He's still too big for the 55 but he hasn't grown any more and is at least a little more comfortable.

Once the angels are dead it'll just be some corys and the 4 convicts and the leviathan.

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
At one foot he can't turn around in a 55. He won't grow much more because his growth will be stunted. This will cause health problems and premature death. Why not attempt to rehome him now before he does get larger? It only gets harder to rehome the bigger they get. Look into Bristlenose Plecs or any of the other dozens of plecos that stay smaller.

Merkicus

AC Members
Jan 25, 2010
At one foot he can't turn around in a 55. He won't grow much more because his growth will be stunted. This will cause health problems and premature death. Why not attempt to rehome him now before he does get larger? It only gets harder to rehome the bigger they get. Look into Bristlenose Plecs or any of the other dozens of plecos that stay smaller.
He turns around fine - My 55 is a bowfront. Maybe I'm just overestimating his size - I swear he's a foot or more but he's doing fine. Ideally he would be in a bigger tank but there isn't much I can do about that right now and nobody will take him (I had another really large pleco and nobody would take that one either, he eventually died of old age).

In regards to the thread topic, I have only one Angelfish left yet he is doing just fine with zero fin damage. Either he's big and bad enough to hold his own against the 4 convicts, or he was the one murdering the other angels the whole time.

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
Old age being? 15? 20? Plecos often outlive both those numbers.
You've come here for advice but dispute it. Angelfish do not make good tankmates for convicts. For the most part multiple breeding pairs of Convicts do not work out in a tank your size ( the bowfront is actually smaller than the standard 55 in terms of bottom space ). Think about it: In the wild these fish find a secluded area to dig a pit and spawn. This area is defended vigorously. In a large waterway other fish can get out of the way easily... the Convict will only chase to the end of it's territory. In your tank there is no escape. Eventually you will have one pair of Convicts in my experience.

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
He turns around fine - My 55 is a bowfront. Maybe I'm just overestimating his size - I swear he's a foot or more but he's doing fine. Ideally he would be in a bigger tank but there isn't much I can do about that right now and nobody will take him (I had another really large pleco and nobody would take that one either, he eventually died of old age).
:popcorn: A little research on what you're working with might be benificial. If the fish is a 'common plecostomus' 18/20" over a 15 year lifespan is fairly normal. As for convicts & angels ..... not in a 55g, not for long. "T"

Flowerhorns4fun

Registered Member
Feb 3, 2020
One foot pleco! Sum of a ...... I wouldn't doubt that either. I had a 2 foot eel in a 90 gallon and that still wasnt big enough. Although he had caves and and would dig around or go threw tunnels etc. I dont want to make you feel bad or anything but often times fish stores sell fish with wrong information. Some are very good, some well.... the responsible thing to do is to give him away even for free to someone who is able to house them. They are awesome. I used to have one too. But they grow and grow and grow. It's a learning experience but dont give up. My advice would be keep around 8 to 10 Cory's. Sex your convicts. Keep one male. If you have 2 or 3 females that's okay. They'll bully and chase but not seriously harm. Get ride of any other males. I've seen my convicts "fight" they puff up they're chest with my jack dempsey female, but no actual fighting they just go back and forth and then one leaves or they both run away lol. Cory's are smart enough to run away. In bigger numbers they should be okay. If your angelfish looks fine then welp leave him. If you had stocked your tank too much it is possible you could've had a infection hit. Hey, it happens. If they looked visibly sick or infected they may have been. Maybe consider a 75 in the future as convicts can also get up to 6 inches. In a 55 bow that's pretty big, plus all the other fish. More space is always better! All the best luck. I wonder how it's going?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store