Cool courting fish for 14g

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DougsGraphics

Returning hobbyist
Dec 10, 2011
New Mexico
www.flickr.com
Real Name
Doug
Just about any rainbow is a good fish for displays, but most are too big for your tank. Threadfins are a great choice as are any of the blue-eyes for a small aquarium. You could probably do a few M. praecox as another option in a small tank, depending on your fish load. Another option that I have always had luck with is emperor tetras; the males will do a fair amount of displaying if you get a good mix of m/f.

Keep in mind that the rainbows won't be at there best color and behaviour without lots of plants -- and they like a fair amount of current. Threadfins are also very succeptable to transport shock, so if you go that way, spend lots of time acclimating.

StarStruck8

AC Members
Jun 9, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Lindsay
I bought some of my threadfins from aquabid when I had them a few years ago...all of them arrived alive and well. Over the 2 years I had them they developed very nice coloring, so don't be surprised if you get young fish that are mostly silver. I loved those fish, but had to sell them when I moved for school. When they displayed they would get an irridescent stripe, as you can somewhat see in these pictures. Now I want threadfins again...:uhoh:

IMG_2480.jpg
IMG_2496.jpg

IMG_2496.jpg IMG_2480.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store