Coral Banded Shrimp Pinches Anemone

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ibanezgfx

AC Members
Nov 7, 2005
Well i have a coral banded shrimp that i have had for a couple months now, and just got a light. my friend gave me a haitian or purple tip anemone, and the shrimp has moved his "territory" to right next to it. he sits there all day and just kind of pinches the tips of the anemone. doesnt clip it off, but i am afraid he might.

is this normal?

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
just watch the anem to make sure it is still opening. If the shrimp is causing it to close up a lot, you may have to take action, otherwise, it's no big deal.
And even if he does manage to take a tiny bit off (although i doubt he would unless he were digging through it to get its last meal) it would just regenerate no problem.

ibanezgfx

AC Members
Nov 7, 2005
yeah, the anemone is wide open, doesnt seem to bother it.
thanks for the info

Miss my puffer

AC Members
Oct 26, 2003
michigan
Visit site
When my coral banded wanted to get by the anemone it use to grab the tips so it would retract and the the coral banded would walk on by. Did this all the time until I lost power in the middle of winter and the tank temp dropped to low for the anemone (had them for almost a year). He's probably just trying to keep the anemone out of his area (and not become the next meal!).

ibanezgfx

AC Members
Nov 7, 2005
actually, the shrimps territory was on the left side of the tank, underneath a nice big overhang of rock. all i ever saw was antennae. Now i put the anemone on the right side of the tank near where the clowns live (in hopes they might host it) and the shrimp made his way over there, and just stays right next to it all the time. he is fascinated by it it seems. he will sit there next to it all day and occasionally just slightly pinch an arm, and just hang out by it....
odd..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store