Coral Hitchhiker ID please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nynikki

"Would you like to play a game?"
Aug 7, 2007
Phoenix
Hello all,

I picked up a couple new pieces of LR last night and found this little guy on there. Could you please help me figure out what it is so I can learn about its needs? You can judge the size of this piece by the red top on my stealth heater in the right corner of the picture.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_9975_resize.jpg

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Looks like a very small Lobophytum spp. or something related. In any case, I am almost certain it is a related octocoral. A good hitchhiker.

nynikki

Aug 7, 2007
Phoenix
That Aiptasia is no more! I got three with this new batch of rock. I hope I killed it correctly. I guess we'll find out. I used Aiptasia X or what ever that product is called from Red Sea. Now I'll just have to sit and wait to see what happens.

nynikki

Aug 7, 2007
Phoenix
After looking up some of these suggestions, I think it is indeed a Kenya Tree. Very cool! Now I just need to figure out what its needs are. Light, food, etc. I can swear that it seemed happier (brighter, taller) after I fed the tank Emerald Entree today, but I'm also pretty sure that my frogspawn puffed up after I fed the tank too. I think that makes sense, emerald entree has mirco-algae in it. Hmm... I'll have to watch more closely next time. Or am I just nuts?

wongster

AC Members
Oct 23, 2008
Berkshire, UK
If it's a kenyan tree coral I think it is pretty undemanding. It'll be photosynthetic and can spread/grow at a good rate. They (and many other soft corals) tend to absorb dissolved or very small particles of organics/nutrients/food from the water. I've never specifically fed my soft corals. They tend to make do with trace of whatever is left over from feeding fish and other corals.
I doubt, you're imagining the puffing up. My hammer coral (and others) tend to inflate and others extend their tentacles when the tank is fed.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
If it is a Kenya tree, it is rather easy to keep and can grow / multiply pretty rapidly, as suggested above. Not a bad coral to get along with the rock, although some consider a bit of a pest coral once it starts dropping frags left and right. With a little luck, you'll have frags in no time! No feeding required, simply provide it with just about any level of reef quality lighting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store