coraline algae won't grow????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RPetty

AC Members
Oct 14, 2007
houston, tx.
I can't seem to get my coraline algae to spread. I have several pieces of LR and my water parameters have been great and constant for about two months now yet still no new growth. I add purple up about twice a week, and use RO/DI water with reef crystals salt.

parameters:
sal- 1.025
ph- 8.1
temp- 76 F
ammonia- 0ppm
nitrite- 0ppm
nitrate- <5ppm
phos- <5ppm
ca- 400ppm-420ppm

I have to scrape my glass about twice a week because of the brown algae build-up, but i never see any purple. Please help and tell me what I'm doing wrong.:help:

schigara

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
Memphis, Tn
www.geocities.com
Depends on how much LR you started with and how much coralline was on that rock. You state CA level is between 400-420........what is the alk and mag level?

If you have a piece of rock that is really covered in coralline, turn off pumps, scrape the rock with a knife or metal brush and let the scrapings settle on the rock and wherever it may land and leave the skimmer and powerheads off for an hour or so. Direct a powerhead right at a rock that is densely populated in coralline for it to blow spores around the tank. I have read that urchins and Mexican red legged hermit crabs can really eat a lot of coralline and prohibit new growth.

One more small thing helps with coralline................TIME. Some have it growing great in the first month after cycle but most it takes 4-6 months to really get going

RPetty

AC Members
Oct 14, 2007
houston, tx.
Maybe my hermits are eating it all... I will pull them out for a while and see what happens.
In addition I think I will add some more LR this weekend, 100lbs isn't enough for my tank. Maybe I just don't have enough.

RPetty

AC Members
Oct 14, 2007
houston, tx.
You have 2 urchins...so along with needing more time, they could be eating it as they are known to do.
your probably right... they hardly leave the glass but when they do i'm sure they fill their guts....
most of my hermits are covered in coralline so today i think i will try and kill my flow and scrape as much off of them that I can. Maybe that will speed up the spreading.

RPetty

AC Members
Oct 14, 2007
houston, tx.
I'd also want to know what your dkh and mg levels are as Schi mentioned.
i've never tested for them, i guess i should go to my LFS and get some test kits. I just assumed sence my ca is always in spec that my alk and mag were aswell. the purple up adds all three i believe.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I'll have to dig out my notes, but the marine biologist that has spoken for our club explained why Purple Up could do more harm than good. I think it had to do with the type of Ca that it added. I'm not sure but I think he said that it wasn't calcium carbonate.

RPetty

AC Members
Oct 14, 2007
houston, tx.
wow.... i would definately like to know more... i would hate to know that for the last few months i have been adding something that is useless. Grins please follow up...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store