Cories and Kuhlies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

froglover007

Obsessed 13-year-old
Apr 15, 2009
Alberta
Oh yes, watch teh congo tetras with teh balck skirts. YOu dont want them to destroy your beautiful male.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'd say that's a few too many congos & diamonds/skirts, that's a lot of fish with 2 angels. A "pair" or just 2... could be trouble. Go for 6-7 of the schoolers or it may get too busy before everyone's adults. Always think of adult size.

trigiver01

Follow HIM and be fishers of men!
Dec 16, 2008
Alachua County, FL
Do you mean a pair of angels can be trouble? I was thinking a pair would be better than...4 :) . And I mistyped earlier, I meant to put 8 congos, 8 diamonds. :/

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
A F & M pair maybe get aggressive to other fish if they spawn, 2 females may fight or lay eggs together, 2 males will fight. With just any 2 young angels 1 will be dominant & may make life impossible for the other.

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
Yeah my Kuhlis seem pretty tolerant of me. I'd agree, get a lot of them- they don't add much to the biolode.

They don't so much hide as they enjoy a nice shady spot. Give them a few caves and things to get under out of the bright aquarium lights.

Another thing I notice- when I first get up in the morning they're playing in the bubbler... they seem to definately enjoy current.

trigiver01

Dec 16, 2008
Alachua County, FL
Ok well I guess since angels would be last to stock anyway I have time to think of alternatives. Thanks for the tips!

And Wycco - I have plenty of shelter for them, and since my tank is narrow (1') the filter returns produce a nice current through the whole thing. Its also well - aerated. The filter returns wash tiny air bubbles all the way to the gravel. I hope they'll be happy!

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
Kuhlis and cories are both fairly clean fish - not much bioload there. They should get along fine, they're both very peaceful and playful.

Get a whole handful of kuhlis, I personally don't think there is any such thing as too many. Anything between 10-20 would probably be fine. Although, I've never kept angels before, so I don't know how they would interact. You don't want the larger, more aggressive fish to start craving earthworms....​

trigiver01

Dec 16, 2008
Alachua County, FL
Thanks, kuhlifan! I definitely love their personality and playfulness, especially in groups. And I wouldn't want them to become kuhlighetti for angel fish or anything. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store