Cory Killer!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

03Turbo

Registered Member
Jan 28, 2011
Specs
10 gal
9 neons (healthy)
1 Juli cory (healthy??)
black sand blasting sand (very fine)
Ph 7.4
Ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10ppm

Ive gone through 4 juli corys now. I don't know what to do?
They usually die the day after I get them are eating and acting normal just a few hours before there death. They show no signs of disease. I acclimate them through a drip.

The only thing I can think of is they eat snail droppings or small snails and that somehow kills them?

Or the sand blasting sand is too fine and is somehow killing them? (the sand is stirred so no pockets of gas)

Any ideas would be great! I ve never had trouble keeping fish alive before but these cory s are kicking my butt!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Is that test of your water from right after the fish died, before you put them in, or after doing a water change?

A ten gallon is pretty small and I could foresee maybe an ammonia spike happening.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I do not see anything obvious. How long has the tank been set up? Do you have plants? How deep is the substrate?

WailuaBoy

AC Members
Aug 10, 2015
I would look more into internal parasite issues with this genus.....If your water parameters were off, likely your neons would be the first affected.....

03Turbo

Registered Member
Jan 28, 2011
Yes, I don't think its the water as neons have been fine for about 3 months. Yes a few plants and substrate is 2 3 inches deep.

But an update. Today I watched the last one die. He had no signs of disease but died just like a fish does when they are getting no oxygen! So.. I believe that their gills were being damaged.. most likely from the very fine sand blasting sand??

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
How often do you do water changes and how much water?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
"I believe that their gills were being damaged.. most likely from the very fine sand blasting sand??"

I do not think this is the cause. Corys as a whole like fine sand, so that is not the problem.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
The sand may or may not have anything to do with the problem. The issue with black blasting sand is the razor sharpness of the grains. It's made from crushed coal slag. If the cories are sucking it up and expelling it through their gills it may be causing damage.

I agree that if it were a water issue your neons would likely be showing trouble as well.

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store