Corys laid eggs -- what now?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

silentcircuit

AC Members
Mar 3, 2011
Columbia, SC
Real Name
Chris
Yes, the bucket sat in the same room for almost an hour and I checked with a thermometer, it was within 2-3 degrees F. About 10 survived (all differing in size from maybe 1/8" to 1", to add another layer of confusion here), but they went in to the 29G as I am still uncertain of what happened with the 10 where I was keeping them. It took almost an hour chasing them with a small mixing bowl to move them (more stress I know) since I could not find my net. I really want to believe the larger fish in the 29G will not eat them (the plants are really overgrown, hopefully they will provide hiding spots), but I do not hold out a lot of hope.

This has been devastating. I really loved all these little guys and was already dreading / questioning my ability to sell them.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Sorry to hear that, I know how devastating it can be! Did anyone spray anything anywhere near your bucket while it was sitting? And are you sure no one used that bucket to put some cleaning solution in or something like that? I do large water changes on my fry tanks...and we're talking at leat 80% of the water with no harm. I just wait until they are about 2 weeks old to do that big of a change. So that shouldn't have been an issue.

silentcircuit

AC Members
Mar 3, 2011
Columbia, SC
Real Name
Chris
Absolutely nothing was sprayed near the bucket, all it is ever used for is water changes. I keep it in a closet so stuff doesn't get in it on accident. I do sometimes mix salt water in it but I rinse it well. That is all.

These were what, a month and a half old? So I thought they would be fine... All I can figure is there was something bad in the water coming out of the tap that Prime didn't fix. It has been fine before though...

silentcircuit

AC Members
Mar 3, 2011
Columbia, SC
Real Name
Chris
maybe some salt? that will kill corys
I'd agree, but in hindsight I shouldn't have even mentioned mixing salt in it as that hasn't happened for a month or more and I'd done several water changes for that tank in the time since without issue. So not salt. Not temp. Not... anything I can test for. It makes no sense.

It was such a massive die-off (of maybe 80-100 fish only 10 survived and they were all of varying sizes from 1/8" to 1") and in such a short period of time (5 hours or less) after such a long period of success (more than a month) that I don't know how it could be disease. I wasn't the bucket. It wasn't temperature. It must've been the water, but I've been using that water the whole time. Same tap and everything.

What I'm afraid of now is, do I need to worry about my other fish when it comes time for water changes? Some are already over-due... I do not want any more to die because of whatever this is.

Last edited:

silentcircuit

AC Members
Mar 3, 2011
Columbia, SC
Real Name
Chris
No, about 6.8 from the tap, 6.8 in the water remaining in the tank. Rising ammonia in that water, but that's kind of expected given what happened and I didn't get them out immediately (couldn't bring myself to do it). Tank gets cleaned out and put in storage tomorrow.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
All things considered....and I know it wasn't the salt. I've got 6 sterbai cories in my tank with my new baby discus with salt at the rate of 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons and they are fine.....are you really, really sure you put the water conditioner in? I'd believe that before I'd believe your tap water changed enough to kill the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store