Could a pistol shrimp kill a boxer shrimp??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
I have recently lost my female boxer shrimp (who was carrying eggs). I bought her as a mated pair with a male. I went to bed the other night and she was there opening up her egg pouch and (i think) kicking out her eggs. She was perfectly fine and healthy yet over night somthing must have happened as all that was left of her was one of her claws.
Most nights I here a loud clicking sound in my tank but have yet to find what is making it, I know it could be a mantis or a pistol. If it was a mantis I'm sure I would of lost a fish by now so I'm assuming its a pistol, could the enticement of an egg lunch caused something to attack the boxer? All my params are good and the male boxer is fine but looks like he is looking for his mate. Also would it be possible to introduce another female to the tank?

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
It could be either yes, both are prime candidates...I wouls say that just because your not loosing fish, does not mean its not a mantis...either way, you have a predator in there that needs ousting...

Niko

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
It could be either yes, both are prime candidates...I wouls say that just because your not loosing fish, does not mean its not a mantis...either way, you have a predator in there that needs ousting...

Niko
I've tried traps but all I seem to catch is my snails!!

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
I agree with Niko, both are good candidates. Mantis shrimp will actually come out with the lights on, it is rare but they will sometimes. Pistols, very rare that they will show themselves.

You can get a flashlight and put some red tissue paper over it and wait for your lights to turn off, then scan your tank with the red light.

I have a pistol shrimp, have had him for about a year now, he is a resourceful little bugger. Preys on my cleanup crew. I can catch a glimpse of him after my lights go out using the method above, works very well.

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
I agree with Niko, both are good candidates. Mantis shrimp will actually come out with the lights on, it is rare but they will sometimes. Pistols, very rare that they will show themselves.

You can get a flashlight and put some red tissue paper over it and wait for your lights to turn off, then scan your tank with the red light.

I have a pistol shrimp, have had him for about a year now, he is a resourceful little bugger. Preys on my cleanup crew. I can catch a glimpse of him after my lights go out using the method above, works very well.
I have a red cold cathode tube fitted to my hood that I can switch between my that and my moonlights but I've never seen anything, just hear the odd click or 2 now and again

BeelzeBob

-CHAUVINIST PIG-
Mar 18, 2006
Boulder, Co.
starve your tank for a few days, then put a few cubes of mysis in and see what gets excited

BeelzeBob

-CHAUVINIST PIG-
Mar 18, 2006
Boulder, Co.
become a member of RS and convince Doni (Woodstock) to let you borrow the one she made! :D

or get like a foot long section of strait PVC, a PVC elbow, and an endcap.

make a "L" out of dem parts there.

starve tank (For me thats like 2-4 days, nothin but top off goes in)

wait till late evening. (critters can tell)

get a nice chunk of mysis or such stuck @ the very far back of the elbow. (May i suggest a small piece of pantyhose between the endcap and open end of the elbow? cube in cap, patyhose over that, put cap on elbow.)

ooo ooo you need fishing line too

if you dont have some already ill ticket you for crimes against your gender....

tie line to end of this thinggy, (Strait open end) and stick it in your sandbed like halfway.

now you need patience. id suggest an Ipod, and beer.

hold your fishin twine tight, and red light your tank, and see what goes inside.

then lift quick (limit yourself to like a sixpac)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store