could fish live in green water???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
Yep, at least the tougher species can for a while. I worked for an aquarium maintenance service and, one day while visiting a maternity clinic, my partner and I discovered their small tank was the color of algae soup. :eek:

We started breaking it down to restart, when we discovered two live goldfish swimming around in it! We were shocked, I tell you.

--Anthony

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by K_S_W_I_S_S
wouldnt it mess with their gills?

Is this green water in a pond, lake or aquarium?
If it's in the aquarium, it's my guess that you would not want that "look"....

Mantis_22

Blue Dreams Webmaster
Mar 24, 2003
Somerset, KY
www.blueskyff.s5.com
Best thrived Green water fish.

-Eastern U.S. Sunfish

We have a lake and we stock them yearly with Rock Bass and Albino Channel Cats. They love 20gl aquariums yet have the habits of oscars. My brother feeds his blood worms and shrimp pellets ever since it was a fry and its now about 4" (He feeds it monthly large nightcrawlers or earthworms yet they get very dirty so he feeds it before water water changes. About half of what its enviorment growth will get. Plus he only has to feed it every 5 days :)

*Sunfish are also reffered to as "Hickfish" Yet they are still so beautiful as a native fish to the eastern U.S.*

Last edited:

wetmanNY

AC Members
The Venezuelan lagoon where Endler's Livebearer come from-- or came from-- was a dense opaque green. Might account in part for the day-glo colors of the males: hard to advertise yourself in green water!

Kissing Gouramis swallow gobs of mucus saturated with green-water algae as part of their normal diet. That's why it's hard to get them thriving in an aquarium.

The problems with green water begin when it dies...

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I used to raise gourami fry in green water. The green water supports large amounts of infusoria, which the fry ate constantly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store