could my neon tetra be full of eggs? What should i do?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ja-hamma

AC Members
Mar 11, 2008
so you think he is just chubby, or pigish? ok, then. lol And when i said 72.-7.4, the color was in between them, so what would you call that then??? I have never seen a neon that fat before. he does seem more agressive than the other 3. So you are prob right.

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
ahhh haaaa your fish is constepated

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Me too. A pregnant neon would qualify for an article in Nature. Egglaying fish no more get pregnant than human women do for a week every month from puberty to menopause.
Yeah thats why I wrote "pregnant" to distinguish it from a fish like livebearers which do. I meant to say breed as in "full of eggs" as it is rare for neons in aquariums...

I hate to say this but I had a neon that looked just like this recently. I wondered if it could be constipation so fed the some peas and broccoli, and also wondered about some sort of internal parasitic thing so treated for that too.

Its belly got bigger, and in the end it was sort of square shaped, although it was swimming and eating ok.

One day I found it dead in the tank, and its belly had just burst!! Gross!!

Ja-hamma

AC Members
Mar 11, 2008
Yeah thats why I wrote "pregnant" to distinguish it from a fish like livebearers which do. I meant to say breed as in "full of eggs" as it is rare for neons in aquariums...
Yes, well i have never had neons before. I have mostly had livebearers, oscars and goldfish. I have just started to step out of my comfort zone and bought new types of fish, and i have to say that it is not going so well. My Neon is still fat, but is more lopsided now. Also one of my Mollies has pineconing. I have isolated her and am treating her. I hope she will be ok. SHe has pooped, but it looks like rabbit droppings, only in fishy size. I am just hoping for the best for her, poor girl. I am wondering if the neon has what she does, but there is no sign of pineconing though. I am just confused.

pistolpete3521

AC Members
Mar 16, 2008
Indian Trail, NC
I personally like the constipation idea, it is alot funnier thatn any other possible problems. and is it kinda frantic like swimming straight at the ground? because my brother's did this about four hours ago right before it hyperventallated anddied of old age.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store