Couple of Discus pics (updated)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002

Thanks NJ Devils Fan and DangerDoll... :)
I use a photo editor program to downsize the pics to around 80K or so.. For the Width and Height - I try and keep them at 500 X 680 approximately. If I'm way over 500 on the width, the pic goes off screen so scrolling is needed to view the pic which is not good..

Woozledad

America, Love it or Leave It!!
Feb 19, 2003
Lubbock, Tx
Visit site
megapixels doesn't mean sharper images, it means larger images....I use a 2.1 mp and I can take some incredibly sharp images....

These pictures where taken in medium quality mode, and reduced in size so they would load faster...The ferret picture was cropped out of a picture with my wife and you can still count his whiskers...It's the optics that make the differnce...Buy a camera made by people who specialize in optics not TV's...I am by no means a photographer, I use this camera in AUTO mode and in medium quality mode and the pictures still come out this clear....I have a picture of my son hitting a baseball, during a game, from 100+ feet and you can make out the seems on the ball just after it was hit, I would post it but it was taken in super high quality mode and is almost 2megs in size, too large to post....

Regardless, your pictures are great and the fish are awesome....I wanna discus tank when I grow up.....

oh yeah, his eyes are ruby color, it's not red eye ;)

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
500 X 201 -- -- 38K

Lesson learned... (somewhat..)
Now how do I get sharp images to stay within the margins of the Forum?
If I crop and resize, the pic gets a bit blurry.... :confused:

Last edited:

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
I saw it when you cropped it, .......I can see what you mean about losing some of the sharpness, but I don't think it was so bad or that much of a difference....I agree though that resizsing it to fit the margins is kinda better than scrolling all over.....maybe I'm biased because I prefer not scrolling.....;)

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Best Optics?

Woozledad,
The best optics can't be Olympus.. or.....
Let me guess... Nikon??

Hope you can reply soon. --Would like to know your opinions-- Thanks. :)

Woozledad

America, Love it or Leave It!!
Feb 19, 2003
Lubbock, Tx
Visit site
Yea, I'm an Olympus or Nikon fan....Actually, I'm using an Olympus C2100uz, obsolete now I believe....

I agree with keeping the size within the forum margins, I just haven't done it.... If you crop, without actually resizing, your picture quality will remain sharp.....also when looking for a camera, remember that OPTICAL zoom is way better than DIGITAL zoom....The cameras digital zoom works exactly like your computer when you enlarge an image, simply enlarges the pixels and the picture quality is quickly degraded.....

I would recommend taking the pictures, using optical zoom if possible, in the largest size setting, then crop the image with your photo editor, but don't resize the photo.....does that make sense???

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002

Yes! Makes sense...! On some pics I have been cropping and also re-sizing. :(
Thanks for the tip!

Maybe you can re-post this tip in Chit-Chat to help others get better pics...(?) Since I'm sure many didn't see the advice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store