Couple questions...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Germanman

My fish are my babies
correct it is a reef...but lower salt level also tossesoff the osmoregulation(keeping even the level of fresh water in body) inside marine fish. hasnt been proven yet but low salinity has in some studies show a decrease in longevity...but then again so many things can kill a marine fish. like i said just my opinion...and that i like to emulate their home, the ocean, as much as possible.

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
Yep. Ich can easily survive in 1.021. It has to be much, much lower for them to not survive- so low that fish should only be in it temporarily.

Germanman

My fish are my babies
hmm, i lowered my salinity to that when i had an outbreak and it went away and hasn't been back for 3 months.
it helps but to effectively kill then it should be very low. i bet ur water quality and the lower sg made the ich go away...remember in marine tanks all factors must be considered...not just one thing makes the problem or not one answer can fix the problem.

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
whats RO water??
Reverse Osmosis. Basically, its a technique to strip your tap water down to 99% pure H2O. This is really the best way to go with marine because marine systems can be sensitive to water inpurities. You use RO water and add the salt mixes to get the best quality water for your fish. You can buy RO water at some LFS's or you can purchase an RO unit and do it yourself at home. That's what I did. RO units can be a bit pricey, but it's so convenient.

I know, all this chemistry talk can be overhelming. It's like "I JUST want a saltwater tank!" But if you want to be successful... its crucial to learn all these terms and important issues regarding water quality. Research Research!!!

dub*c

Tha Shadiest 1
Apr 26, 2007
think it would work if i filled up the tank with tap water (treated with AquaPlus) then let it circulate for a few days then rinse the sand out with RO water?? and thanks for all this information. I really appreciate it

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
think it would work if i filled up the tank with tap water (treated with AquaPlus) then let it circulate for a few days then rinse the sand out with RO water?? and thanks for all this information. I really appreciate it
Yeah, you can use regular tap water to fill your tank. I just can't promise you that in the future you won't have Nitrate problems or insane algae blooms. But you can do it, yes.

You should probably test your tap water to get a feel for what type of water you have available to you. First, test the water a few hours or a day after it comes out of the tap. (could be early false readings sometimes) This is an idea I never thought of until now actually, but you could treat your water with AquaPlus or Prime or whatever conditioner you are using and see what your readings are then. That would probably be a more accurate test because thats the water you would use if you didn't have an RO unit.

Do you own any of the basic testing kits?

I originally refused to buy an RO unit. I tested my water from my tap and it really bit the big one. I kinda had my wrist turned towards the RO unit. Now I'm way happier I got one.

And you're most welcome Dub C. This hobby is fun but its full of surprises! I don't want you to be too caught off guard.

dub*c

Tha Shadiest 1
Apr 26, 2007
thanks a lot!! and no i do have any testing units yet but later today im going out to purchase probablly a couple powerheads, maby a filter, more salt, and testing kits. Also whats this i hear about a buffer? what is it and what does it do??

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
thanks a lot!! and no i do have any testing units yet but later today im going out to purchase probablly a couple powerheads, maby a filter, more salt, and testing kits. Also whats this i hear about a buffer? what is it and what does it do??
I'd recommend you get pH High Range, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and Phosphate test kits to start with. Other ones to consider are Calcium, GH... but for right now the essential ones should be good.

Okay, this is a topic that confused me as well until recently. If I can break it down to its most basic function its sorta like this... Your pH can flucuate based on things like fish death, fish pee and poop, uneaten food. These things turn the water more acidic. You want your pH to be 8.1 to 8.4 at all times in your marine tank. Over time, your tank becomes more acidic, thus lowering your pH.

Now, there is a thing called alkalinity... in simple terms. alkalinity is a buffer to keeping pH stable. If you have low alkalinity, your pH has a much higher rate of flucuation - not good. If your alkalinity is medium to high, your pH will stay more stable. So, with that being said... I add a buffer to my water every two weeks to keep my alkalinity up as well as my pH. (or I add a little buffer to my premixing saltwater before I do a water change) The buffer will adjust your pH to somewhere between 8.1 and 8.4 if you follow the directions on the product correctly. Also the buffer boosts your alkalinity. Good thing.

There are a bunch of buffers on the market. I've been using Kent Marine Super Buffer. So far, its been quite good. Maybe others know better brands, its the only one I've used to be honest. but again it's been good to me so far.

It's really important in a new tank to test often as water conditions can change quickly. Did that explanation of alkalinity and pH make sense to you at all? lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store