CP terraium - Plants only

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
:thumbsup:

Love it! I keep telling my coworkers that I'm starting an army of CPs to take over the world!

BoJangles

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
RI
Looks really good man!

If you mean the ones in the 6th pic, they're drosera capensis. The hairs on the leaves secrete a sticky mucous that digests unlucky bugs... :evil_lol:.
they are REALLY sticky i moved mine today and touched a leaf and boy was it sticky

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Update

Thanks, Bo! After I repotted some of the droseras, I had to go through with tweezers and pull off the bits of moss that had gotten stuck to them. :duh: It's amazing how sticky they are!

So here's some new pics... The droseras have moved into a 10g, and I repotted some of them into bigger homes...
A friend of mine gave me an upright terrarium, and I got a new nepenthes (copelandii), so I moved the neps into the new terrarium...
Here's some of the N. Copelandii...

DSCN2034.JPG DSCN2035.JPG n. copelandii_side.JPG nepenthes copelandii.JPG

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Bah...

Sorry, 'bout the formatting...

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
The N. coplandii is sweet!

Are these plants fairly expensive? How do you keep the humidity up?

I'm sensing a new twist to my "aquarium" hobby...
Thanks, Pap! The lid of the Copelanii just opened up over the last couple days, and the red has really been filling in nicely! I keep them in terrariums with glass lids on the top. The Droseras sit in open water at the bottom. Between the lights and the glass top it does well for the temp and humidity and I've found that adjusting the size of the top will affect the humidity in an intuitive way. For the Nepenthes, I put a layer of sphagnum moss along the bottom to add a little boost to the humidity.

They're really a lot hardier than most people think. Most species seem to be able to adapt to as low as 35% relative humidity. If the area you live in accomodates that naturally, you can grow them as a house plant! If you look into nepenthes, the biggest factor is highland vs. lowland species... they have pretty different requirements as far as temps.

This is where I get most of mine: http://cobraplant.com/
There's a lot of good info on the site, and there's an e-book that they put out all about care and cultivation. The owner of the business is available on facebook.

They can get expensive, but I haven't paid more than $14 (including shipping) for any of mine.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Nice CPs! Where do you get them at? Online or greenhouse?

Jpappy, I normally just mist everyday, and have a mostly closed glass top. Also most Cps like to sit in water/soaked spagnum, so theres your humidity there.

If you really want to learn more about CPs, I recommend the book "The Savage Garden"
http://www.amazon.com/Savage-Garden-Cultivating-Carnivorous-Plants/dp/0898159156
That's a great book. I also have "Growing carnivorous Plants" by Barry Rice. The Neps I mist a couple times per day, the Droseras just sit in water at the bottom. Really other than that I don't do a lot of maintenance except trimming if a leaf dies.

I also have gotten a couple plants from this site: http://www.blackjungle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Store_Code=BJTS&Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=CP
But I have been more pleased with the other one I linked. I haven't been able to find a good local source for plants yet.

I was going to try to post pics of each set up for you, Jpap; but my camera battery died. I'll get them up after work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store