CP terrarium thread, continued

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Thanks! hows you heli flower doin?
Sadly, when I got back from my 3 days away, the flower stalk was all droopy and didn't look good, so I cut it off as opposed to risking the plant. The second flower never got close to blooming. The pics on here are the flower at it's peak.

You're welcome, Xan!

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
Here's my N. spectabilis x aristolochioides
It put out 2 pitchers simultaneously and the second one is almost twice as big.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
That's a gorgeous pitcher, Paul. I love the dark peristome!

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
New question: What would the assembled multitude of experts recommend for CP choices (1) to go in the upper/land part of a paludarium (2) to be done by a person who has never done a paludarium or raised carnivorous plants before?

Plau will be a 10g. Land part will be about 5 in down from the top of the tank. Lid can come off as soon as I can figure a way to suspend the light from above so as to remove the glass top. A stream will run through the land area from the hob to the water...somewhere. (exact design still in progress.) Will definitely have some Utricularia down below, and any other full-aquatic ones anybody can think of. thanking you all in advance &c.... :)

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
I'd be careful putting CPs in a paludarium. Only because the water in the palu (unless it's distilled water) can be harmful to them. That being said, it really depends on what you want. If you want pitcher plants, I'd go for something like N. Ventricosa since it's extremely hardy and stays relatively small. If you're looking for sundews, really most of them should work pretty well. If there will be critters in with it, look for something relatively robust like D. Adelae.

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
If you keep the lid on, for pitcher I'd go with N. ampullaria. They like a little wetter substrate and warmer temperatures, not water logged but wet. However, just try some plants in a normal terrarium and see if you can get a handle with them before making a showpiece.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
If you keep the lid on, for pitcher I'd go with N. ampullaria. They like a little wetter substrate and warmer temperatures, not water logged but wet. However, just try some plants in a normal terrarium and see if you can get a handle with them before making a showpiece.
:iagree: It's a good call to get used to them before putting them into the palu.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
hmm. Well the palu is a long time dream so that sort of takes priority. Was trying to combine two things and you are most likely right to suggest this is not a bright idea, so will hold off on the cp business for now. Unless one drops into my lap or something. :)

thanks all for the tips. Notes have been taken for future use. jbrandt I am curious though about your point: what about aquarium water would be harmful to CPs? Too much nutrient? My reading (since you people started to lead me astray in this field) has suggested that plants become carni because they are in very poor soils, therefore they (their ancestors) got an evolutionary advantage from consuming insects. So I can see how too much nutrient would sort of thwart their normal development.

But I am just guessing here and would like to know your thinking on this. I do not use outside ferts and do not plan to do so in the Palu. So unless fish/shrimp poo is sufficient or over-stimulus I am at a loss.

andyjs

AC Members
Jun 6, 2009
Ohio
thanks all for the tips. Notes have been taken for future use. jbrandt I am curious though about your point: what about aquarium water would be harmful to CPs? Too much nutrient?
I believe that's it. They developed the ability to collect nutrients from prey to make up for a lack of nutrients brought in by the roots. Most are so evolved now that not only do they not need nutrients in their soil/water, but they can actually be burned if they receive nutrients that way

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
hmm. Well the palu is a long time dream so that sort of takes priority. Was trying to combine two things and you are most likely right to suggest this is not a bright idea, so will hold off on the cp business for now. Unless one drops into my lap or something. :)

thanks all for the tips. Notes have been taken for future use. jbrandt I am curious though about your point: what about aquarium water would be harmful to CPs? Too much nutrient? My reading (since you people started to lead me astray in this field) has suggested that plants become carni because they are in very poor soils, therefore they (their ancestors) got an evolutionary advantage from consuming insects. So I can see how too much nutrient would sort of thwart their normal development.

But I am just guessing here and would like to know your thinking on this. I do not use outside ferts and do not plan to do so in the Palu. So unless fish/shrimp poo is sufficient or over-stimulus I am at a loss.
I believe that's it. They developed the ability to collect nutrients from prey to make up for a lack of nutrients brought in by the roots. Most are so evolved now that not only do they not need nutrients in their soil/water, but they can actually be burned if they receive nutrients that way
Yep... that's just it. Most tap water has enough nutrients to burn the roots, so add the poo factor and it's definitely dangerous. This is why most people use distilled water or collect rain water to water CPs. The traps evolved due to the lack of nutrients in the soil. During that process, the roots lost the ability to uptake those nutrients. They end up getting burned by nutrient rich soil or water.

HTH

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store