CPO V.S shrimp? which is more interesting and fun to keep?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
im now debating which to keep. i have a 10 gallon i will be planting and setting upfor one or the other but i just can decide. which would you pick? anybody that has both? which do you enjoy watching more? do CPO's hide alot? how hard are CPO's to breed? how do you feed the CPO babies? help me decide!!

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I say get both. Just don't get some expensive shrimp or something that doesn't breed a lot. I keep RCS with my CPO's. The CPO's may pick off a shrimp now and then but not enough to make any sort of dent on the population. CPO's do need hiding spots, and do hide, but pretty much anytime I look at my tank at least one will be visible. If I had to pick one I would pick the CPO's but I feel it is a matter of preference. I enjoy their visual appearance as well as their personality more than that of the shrimp. I have not yet had success breeding so I can't really comment on that matter.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
id only be able to get one CPO for now bc of a low budget (im 15) i could get 10 blue pearl shrimp though. ive had a crayfish before and she was pretty cool but i dont want something thats like my red claw crabs and barley comes out to eat unless i throw food in.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
Can't really make that decision for you then, it's a matter of preference. One CPO can't breed though you'd need at least a m/f pair. Also CPO's don't really run after food, they are scavengers and will eat as they come across it. I throw a couple shrimp pellets in every few days for mine.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
In that case, I say you get the blue pearls and let them start breeding, and save the CPOs for when you have enough for a few of them. It's quite beneficial to keep shrimp with CPOs, for a few reasons; The cherries get the smallest bits that the CPOs don't bother with, the CPOs help keep the shrimp in check, and the most important reason, CPOs eat their own offspring. Now, that's a lot less likely to happen when there's at least a dozen baby shrimp for every baby crayfish, isn't it? Still best to net them out and raise them seperately, though (And to seperate the larger craylings from the smaller ones, as they'll kill and/or eat the runts).

If you get a lone cray with your blue pearls now, it may end up killing a couple of them before they can start breeding. Better to wait, because the best time would be when there are all ages of shrimp in the tank, therefore there'd be newborn shrimp on a regular basis, not just every couple of months. Higher baby cray survival rate that way.

Edit: Also, CPOs only live a few years. Better to get them all in one batch and have them all close to the same age, for breeding purposes.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Yes... They walk around on all surfaces, upside down, sideways, doesn't matter, always picking at miniscule objects and stuffing them into their mouthes; Or they glide around the walls of the tank flapping their swimmerets. If you put a piece of food in, they'll all come over and you'll get an idea of how many are in the tank, if it's a big enough piece. The food swarming is probably the most entertaining part, really.

The crays are good for their antics. Shrimp (Well, except longarms...) aren't aggressive, where the crays are. The crays also trundle along with a purpose, whereas the shrimp sort of meander around picking at whatever they can find unless you toss in a hunk of food.

aclarino

AC Members
Jun 6, 2011
My boyfriend has both CPOs and shrimp. I can barely see the shrimp in the tank but I am a real fan of the CPOs. I agree with Dwarfpuffers and start with the shrimp, but def dont give up the the CPO they may be expensive but they are really bright and have great personalities.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store