crabs?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
I was at a lfs just looking around and I noticed they have fiddler crabs completely underwater. They seem fine, but I read online that they need land too. I am interested in them for my 29g tank (cycling right now). So I was thinking of driftwood up to some sort of enclosed structure on the top of the tank. I can pretty easily make a plexiglass box for the top part of my tank. So if I make a rock or driftwood structure from the bottom of the tank to the top and out into the addition, do you think that they would clime all the way up there? Do they need some sort of lighting up there as well? What would I put for "flooring"? Would normal gravel be good, or should I put sand or something? I would probably have to clean it somehow. Is there a temperature or humidity range that added land would have to be at?

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Hmm, everywhere I have been they have been in freshwater. I dont have any problem making the top sand. They seemed totally fine in the water. I looked up material I could use, this is what I came up with. Cutting it in half length wise requires about 6 sheets to follow my idea including the ramp and spare material.
http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Materials-Acrylic-Sheets/h_d1/N-brdgZ5yc1v/R-202090126/h_d2/ProductDisplay?
catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

Just trying to look at options to have a unique tank. There are like 90 species of crabs like fiddlers? It may be possible they are mislabeled at the lfs and might be something else.

At the lfs they are in probably a 10 or 15g tank with no way to the surface for air, but they seem healthy and that lfs has carried them like that for years without issues.

Any input? Everything I have read says they like salty water and land. So the lfs seems opposite.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Well, if that plan goes away, what else can I do to make the tank more unique? They had a red lobster (that wasnt the name, but thats what I am calling it). It was really cool but was marked as aggressive and was $25.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
From my understanding some fiddlers can live for awhile in FW and submerged but generally only last a few months before dying. If your willing to do brackish, you could do an indian mudskipper or two and fiddlers, plant it with some mangroves and other salt tolerant aquatic and terrestrial plants.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Hmm, well I will just look for something easier. I dont want to mess with brackish and I want the tank to be full (hence the idea of adding land on top of the tank).

What are other unique things to add to a 29g freshwater aquarium? Shrimp are cool, but around here they are small, expensive, and not very active from what I have seen.

jayla2251

AC Members
Jul 1, 2012
Wichita, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Jayla
Yeah, I used to want one but they actually require more then what you see at the petstore.
I'm guessing it was a crayfish, the 'red lobster'? You could do a crayfish in your tank. I just got 3 marmorkrebs and they are pretty interesting. There are a lot of nice one's you can get online. Pretty and colorful.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
I didnt get to see it too well since it was hiding, but the tail sure looked like lobster tail. But $25, he could be added later after everything is known to be going well with the tank. But they said it could be aggressive, so idk how that would go with guppies.

Edit: lol, crayfish tails and lobster tails look similar.

So maybe it is a cpo?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Most would certainly snack on any guppies they can grab, I think dwarf's are pretty much the only crays that are fairly fish safe.

What about some Thai Micro crabs?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store