Craigslist ftw

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Sounds like a great buy! I would stick with the one O though, unless you have plans for a 75 or 90 with in 10-12 months. Rarely do I see an O not hit 10-12" within one year and a 12" 55 makes for tight turns.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
All great deals like I'm always telling people. Craigslist is great!

I agree with Bob, so get your oscars and save your pennies towards a tank that is at least 75 gallons and at least 18" for a permanent home.

Oscars are fun fish as they become like dogs and will eat from your hand once trained to do so.

Tophat665

Minion of the Scaled Ones.
Jul 13, 2006
NoVa
Craigslist is great. I got a 75 and a 55. Both had stands and also included 2 XP3, CF lighting for both, glass tops, heaters, food, some cichlids, Eheim 2215 plus other accessories. Now the best part is it was all FREE.
That is just about too sweet for words, there. Best I ever did for free was a stocked and loaded 20 High, though I missed out on a 29 once, and I believe I saw a free 55 the other day that I don't at the moment have room for.

bushwhacker

old school newbie
Aug 2, 2008
westminster sc.
around here the folks on craigslist think their tanks are made of gold lol. ive seen 20 gallon tanks asking 2-300 bucks

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
around here the folks on craigslist think their tanks are made of gold lol. ive seen 20 gallon tanks asking 2-300 bucks
It's not just there. There's people like that everywhere Craigslist is. Here there's a bunch of people trying to get back what they spent new on tanks. I just laugh and continue looking.

johnlarson66

These Pandas Rock
Sep 25, 2006
Fayetteville, NC
www.facebook.com
Real Name
John Larson
If you like Oscars, then maybe get one...

I am not a big fan of Oscars, I think they are messy and rake havoc on a tank. I would think a couple of jack dempseys would be better if you are stuck on South Americans.

Myself I am partial to Africians and I really like the colors and the shapes of the fish, I also like fish that are not the normal fish one sees at pet stores or walmart.

I think with a 55 gallon you can do better than just have one oscar, unless you really like Oscars.

Octavarium

Ambassador to Cephalopods
Mar 2, 2005
East Haven, CT
Real Name
Erik
Gotta love this Craig guy, I'd like to personally meet and thank him.

HannahJ

Starving Student
Dec 3, 2008
College Station, Texas
My favorite are the people who are in that camp, and also mention that the tank comes with everything including fish and then raise the price because of that. And it's never even desirable fish, it's always a bunch of mollies or an overgrown pleco or a bunch of goldfish.

Or the people who are selling tanks for decent pr, but when you almost seal the deal on them, mention that, oh by the way, there's still a few fish left you'll have to take. And few fish = 50 convicts or guppies or something to that effect.

evelyn80

Guru at procrastinating
Aug 10, 2008
in your house!!
i dont think an oscar should live in a 55. bit of a hard turn for 10-12 inch cichlid to make aint it? 72 min for them id say. try JD's if u want SA cichlid there real neat and would work perfect that

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store