Crayfish Problem!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Thanks. Yeah not a molt there was no crack in the casing or anything, it was a very solid crayfish. She even looked just like the picture but dead, not pale or anything. Believe me I sat here and studied the body for a while praying it was just a molt.

I will check my Kh in the morning. My snails have never had much problem with calcium but I feed a lot of calcium rich foods.

I started turning up the temperature slowly earlier today. I had the heater turned back quite a ways since the temps in the summer were getting so high. This is the first real cold week we've had so I hadn't changed the heater settings yet.

I've been really upset all evening but I'm feeling a bit better. Thanks for the kind words. I'll look into getting another after the first of the year since I don't trust holiday mail, thanks msjinkzd.

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
I am sorry. I know that I have some that I am very attached to and will be sad when they die.

pbmax

AC Members
Aug 18, 2009
Olympia, WA
I'm sorry for your loss :( I'd be pretty upset if either of my CPO's died :( :( It's particularly bad when you just don't know why.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Thanks

Yeah I was crying yesterday. My husband took me out to dinner and watched a feel good movie with me to make me feel better.

I did a Kh test this morning and I had to use 16 drops to get it to turn orange so that's 286.4 ppm I think. That's pretty high. I tried to do the Gh tests but I never could get the solution to turn green and the container was going to over flow if I kept adding drops. I was well over 50 drops. I assume it is also quite high.

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
Shikies! I think that you can bounce a quarter off of your water. Is your test kit new or old?

edit: Oh...I see you live in Wisconsin..hard water there aye?

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Oh yeah it's a well known fact we have hard water around here lol. All of the local lfs warn about it. But I keep a lot of hard water species so it doesn't bother me.

I'm not sure how old the test kit is. I got it second hand.

I figured I would go ahead and tests just to rule out some kind of crash. My parameters are still all stable and my other inhabitants are eating and acting normal.

I really want to make sure everything is ok before I try adding another one. It's just such a mystery.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
It really doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong. I am keeping mine in a tank without a heater and they are doing just fine. Your water is plenty hard. Maybe it was just a moulting issue. I do have tank raised juvies (1/4"-1/2") as well if you would rather get one of those. The size you got were near adult but I have not experienced any losses of ones that were the same size. I am so sorry this happened as you were taking excellent care of her.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store