crazy snails ??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NeverFadeAway86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Brian C
ive got 3 mystery snails... and they do some funny stuff

the two things that i dont know if it is normal or not is one of the snails attaches itself to one of my other snails.. which i assumed meant they were gettin down with it lol but some times its just attached to the other snails Shell.. is this normal ?

Also one of the snails seems to like to climb up the heater in the tank and sometimes it is on while he is doing it, should i be concerned that it is burning the snail ?? usually he is on the upper part where the heat doesnt come from but sometimes not

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
We crack up at how fast our black mystery snail motors around the tank. Ours climbs up the heater too. I think the heaters get some shmutz on it that snails like to munch.

mpmistr

AC Members
May 21, 2012
I had a mystery snail that would climb up to the top of the glass then drop on top of my aerator and ride the bubbles. It's too bad they don't live long, they are pretty amusing.

Dustin86

AC Members
Sep 29, 2012
The first time I tried to feed a zucchini slice to a mystery snail, I couldn't find a way to weigh it down so I just slapped it against the side wall of the tank, where it stuck. Once the snail found it, he climbed onto it and began munching away. Unfortunately, the added weight caused the zucchini to slide off and float away... with the snail surfing on top. He floated that way happily for about 45 minutes before he slipped off.

I had a couple at one point that would climb all the way to the top of water column and then let go, drifting peacefully back down to the substrate so they could climb all the way back up again. I was always amazed by their efficiency.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
How long do mystery snails live?

esoepr1976

AC Members
Oct 27, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Emily
depends on the temp of the tank. The warmer the tank, the faster they grow and the shorter they live. But they can live 1-3 years. There is lots of great info about them at www.applesnail.net

Emily

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store