Crossing to the money draining dark side...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
I wouldn't start with the bio balls as, unless you keep them extremely clean(at least once a week), will cause nitrate problems. I'd just not bother and either leave the space empty or go with live rock rubble from the off

cuticom

Addicted Reefer
Dec 8, 2006
Hunter Valley, NSW, Australia
The way the system runs means nothing can get caught in the bioballs, all there there for is biological filtration, theres a really fine prefilter which prevents gunk getting anywhere near the bioballs.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Ummm can get pics of the lights later on, there all on at the moment and need to wait till they cool down before I can get pics. There are no brands anywhere, the halide is screwed in, the two foot lights ahve the two pins at either end. The ballasts sit underneath the tank.

Juts grabbed one of the boxes with the replacement lamp in it. It says its a Metalarc lamp, by Pro Tech, and a metal halide. Its got 100w written on the bulb but thats all I can see. It doesn't really matter though does it? if I'm planning on a FOWLR I don't need special lights for corals...
From what I've seen not all MH bulbs are the correct par for aquariums. The 100watt bulbs I've seen before are more the inexpensive variety that one might use outside a garage like these: http://www.1000bulbs.com/100-Watt-Metal-Halide-Light-Bulbs/

cuticom

Addicted Reefer
Dec 8, 2006
But if all I want is for it to light up the fish it doesn't matter right? Unless marine fish need specific lighting? from what I've read if it's just FO or FOWLR the lighting doesn't really matter. I do know there were anemones and soft corals (uuh think their called soft corals) growing in there, they'd been transferred to their new larger tank and were still going strong.

Theres nothing I can do if the halide isn't right, I'm only 15 and my Dad would kill me if I started playing with electrics, and he's always too busy to help me, he wouldn't even help sort out all the wiring for the tank when we set up.

cuticom

Addicted Reefer
Dec 8, 2006
Algae I don't mind, if it gets too bad I'll just switch the halide off and just use the twin two foot lights.

Well been reading some more and I think I'll leave the idea of a puffer as a distant dream, the idea of feeding live snails etc kinda put me off.

I think I'm probably going to go with just two fish, one being a clownfish (so yeah I like nemo) then either another clown or maybe a royal gramma or something similar. I've got months to work it out though.

cuticom

Addicted Reefer
Dec 8, 2006
Juts a quick question, once I do get this cycled etc, whats a good amount of snails/hermits to add first? was thinking just 2-3 of each?

cuticom

Addicted Reefer
Dec 8, 2006
I've been spending some time staring at the liverock , and had some questions, theres teeny little strands coming off some of the rock, some is green so I'm guessing hair algae, but some is white? and theres also pinky patches which look almost mossy, are these coralline algae?

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
Juts a quick question, once I do get this cycled etc, whats a good amount of snails/hermits to add first? was thinking just 2-3 of each?
There really isn't a set cleanup crew amount based on tank size since it really depends upon how much food your tank can provide them. But you listed some good starting numbers. I would get more snails than hermits. Don't forget to add empty shells. Also, don't be too alarmed if a snail disappears every once in a while (as long as its not at a rate that calls for concern). Most likely a hermit attacked it. You might consider not adding hermits if you don't have to. That way you don't have to replace your snails.

I've been spending some time staring at the liverock , and had some questions, theres teeny little strands coming off some of the rock, some is green so I'm guessing hair algae, but some is white? and theres also pinky patches which look almost mossy, are these coralline algae?
Coralline algae usually doesn't have a mossy appearance. Is it possible to post pictures?

cuticom

Addicted Reefer
Dec 8, 2006
Both the below pics are enlargements of this picture

Hair Algae

Pink mossy stuff

I keep land hermit crabs, and they've grown out of most of their original shells, so i have at least 50 shells that can go into the tank LOL, should keep marine hermits happy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store