Crushed coral is a problem waiting to happen

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

xsdbs

AC Members
Oct 16, 2006
Personally I don't count flow from a return pump or a mechanical filter. The only flow I count towards the chaotic flow in the display tank would be from powerheads or a closed loop. In your case I'd want 1500-3750gph moved by those at a minimum (lower number for FO tank, higher is for reef).
I am trying not to have to large a powerhead in the display tank, I think they take away from the looks of the tank. maybe just me. in the case of the fluval fx5 I am using it without any media and just running the water thru it for additional flow. am I thinking wrong? or do I need to add a pair of bulkheads to the tank to create a closed loop? would I be better off using another mag drive for a closed loop instead of the fluval? are my ideas wrong ad should I look at a different way? thanks for the input.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Well here is one way to answer it....what happens with food the fish don't eat right away? Does it stay in the water column or does it sink to the bottom instead? One of the mods here even suggested turning off your circulation, adding a few drops of milk and then turning the flow back on. You'll be able to see the flow this way. If you have deadspots, you need to make changes with placement/types/or amount of flow.

As for how it looks, I'm not a fan of lots of equipment in the display either, but there are times when I make concessions based on what is best for the livestock.

xsdbs

AC Members
Oct 16, 2006
Well here is one way to answer it....what happens with food the fish don't eat right away? Does it stay in the water column or does it sink to the bottom instead? One of the mods here even suggested turning off your circulation, adding a few drops of milk and then turning the flow back on. You'll be able to see the flow this way. If you have deadspots, you need to make changes with placement/types/or amount of flow.

As for how it looks, I'm not a fan of lots of equipment in the display either, but there are times when I make concessions based on what is best for the livestock.
Thanks for the help. I'll try the milk thing and get a better idea of my circulation.

Bagshaw

AC Members
Mar 13, 2008
I have crushed coral in my tank, although i am switching to a different to a 65 gallon tank.
I want to have some type of substrate but while in the process of a switch the addition of a new substrate will cause a sand storm and my fish that i have no cant be added!
What should i do! Help!

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
The main emphasis of this thread is to make people aware of the problems and issues that "usually" get caused by people using crushed coral as thier substrate. No-one here can say that its 100% bad, but, what people can say is what happened to them personaly, with their own systems.

Ultimatly, its down to the tank keep what choice they make on substrate.

Niko
My self along with a few friends have been useing CC for years with no problems, ushally 2 PWC's a week with gravel vacs.....:)

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
80 and 45 FW, Just wanted to jump in since this topic has also been in the fw section.......:)

journey0820

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
Question: I just got my shipment of "live sand" yesterday. It, indeed, had sand in it but it also has bigger pieces of what look like shells and rock the size of small gravel. The sand has settled to the bottom, the shells and small rock are at the top. It was sold to me as stuff scooped off the bottom of the ocean where these particular people lease 5 acres specifically for this purpose. It was called "live sand". Did I accidentally get crushed coral????

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Question: I just got my shipment of "live sand" yesterday. It, indeed, had sand in it but it also has bigger pieces of what look like shells and rock the size of small gravel. The sand has settled to the bottom, the shells and small rock are at the top. It was sold to me as stuff scooped off the bottom of the ocean where these particular people lease 5 acres specifically for this purpose. It was called "live sand". Did I accidentally get crushed coral????

Not crushed coral sand per say...This type of sand is commonly refered to as seafloor grade....

Seafloor grade sand

or

Bahama Sand

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store