Crypt Quick Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ryfish

AC Members
Oct 9, 2010
Canton, CT
Real Name
Ryan
Since there is some thread jacking in progress I am going to ask another question that is becoming a problem in my tank. I am noticing some brown algae on the sides of my tank and on my some plants. I also am noticing small spotted algae on the glass in places. What can I do?

I only have a 18 watt T8 bulb on my 36 gallon tank, is that a problem? Should I order a bottle of excel? Should I do some DIY CO2? I just did a 50% water change after scraping all the algae off the sides of my tank. I am not sure of what to do about the plants though.

I do put some CSM+B in the tank about once a week and use osmocote cubes for root tabs.

Sigrid

AC Members
Jan 8, 2011
both hands in fish tank
Real Name
Bristlenose
I started using Flourish excel about 14 days ago and have noticed that I can remove the algae on my Anubias nana much easier using a soft brush.

In the aquarium store I was told that excel contains a chemical that will kill of algae. Hopefully it will work. So far I have been using this fertilizer 3x weekly in the problem algae tank.
On my photograph showing my Tetra Bell CO-2 set-up the little Anubias tied to the wood next to reactor was totally black 2 weeks ago. I gently cleaned it under running water, and it looks pretty good right now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store