Cryptoheros sajica fry!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ragc

AC Members
Dec 4, 2005
Atlanta, GA
9 weeks...move out day!

Took about 40 to the LFS. Around 20 hid and stayed with Dad and his new girlfriend (much younger than poor Mom). The bio-load was getting to be too much, with filters clogging daily. The pix:

Were going away!

Gonna miss the ol' place!

Now we have more space to play!

I am good at running and hiding!

BloodThirsty28

AC Members
Jun 26, 2006
Are these T-Bars?

ragc

AC Members
Dec 4, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Dad was eager to mate again and she was not. I found her all battered up and she didn't make it in the hospital tank...lesson: use dividers when they are back to their spawning colors until Mom is nice and ready...

Yes, they are T-Bar cichlids, Cryptoheros sajica. Great medium size Central Americans, peaceful except when spawning, and leave plants alone. They are cave and trench spawners, dig up your gravel and crumble food for their fry to eat.

The fry were 1/2" to 3/4" long at nine weeks. Dad is about 4".

I lost two fry that I know of: a jumper and one was chomped by a tetra the first week (another tetra paid for this with his/her life - Dad apparently took justice in his fins!)

Thanks!

Last edited:

ragc

AC Members
Dec 4, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Thanks!

ragc

AC Members
Dec 4, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Our Owner has been away almost every day. He comes in late at night, and feeds us only once or twice. It's not like it used to be when we were small fry. Pops has no time for us either...he has been doing something with our new Mom...

Our Home

Today the Owner returned, fished out 20 of my brothers and sisters and took them away to the LFS. There are only six of us left with Pops and our new Mom...

When the Owner returned from the LFS, our new Mom, 2-Lady Jaguar, surprised everyone by parading a whole bunch of new little brothers and sisters out to eat from the gravel!

Our new Mom and her fry

Now Owner has to start over again, mixing Zoe and Zoecon with stage 2 food several times a day. And we have to spend the day running away from Mom, who won't let us go see the babies!

We're hidin' in the plants...from Mom

Pops (16-Rabbit) also chases us, but not as long...he doesn't really try very hard, like Mom does!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store