Curses! For Real?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/entertainment/movies/9428113.htm?1c

In case that doesn't open (cursed not to open...), here's a copy/paste...

"Posted on Thu, Aug. 19, 2004

CURSES!

WEIRD THINGS SEEM TO HAPPEN ON SETS OF `EXORCIST' MOVIES

By Glenn Lovell

Mercury News

Spooky premonitions were reported. People succumbed under mysterious circumstances. Buildings spontaneously combusted.

And that was just behind the scenes on ``The Exorcist,'' the 1973 Oscar-winner about a cherubic 12-year-old named Regan, who, seemingly possessed by the devil, starts to levitate and spit green bile.

Unduly nervous about how the adaptation of the William Peter Blatty bestseller would fare in release (it earned a then-whopping $8 million its opening weekend), Warner Bros. was quick to capitalize on all the weird happenings, going so far as to proclaim the enterprise ``cursed'' and in need of a real priest to perform an actual exorcism.

Flash forward three decades to ``Exorcist: The Beginning'' (opening Friday), and -- if we're to believe the good folks in Warner publicity -- the guy downstairs is still making life hell for those who would exploit his name for fun and profit.

Among the carefully documented crises that have befallen the twice-shot, now $85-million prequel (actually No. 4 in the series, following sequels in 1977 and 1990):

• Veteran director John Frankenheimer quits the Morgan Creek production and shortly thereafter dies of a stroke during what should have been a routine back operation. He is replaced by Paul Schrader (``Affliction,'' ``Auto Focus''), who says, ``John's death was a complete surprise.''

• Liam Neeson -- cast as the younger Father Merrin, originally played by Max von Sydow -- drops out of the project, telling Schrader, ``I changed my mind.'' He is replaced by Swedish actor Stellan Skarsgard, whose Merrin battles the devil during an archaeological dig in North Africa.

• Schrader, who was never interested in ``exploitation horror'' with slamming doors and spinning heads, is fired during post-production because his material isn't scary or bloody enough. ``Paul shot the script and turned it into a classy, elegant art film,'' reports Blatty, who has seen the Schrader film, which may go straight to DVD.

• New director Renny Harlin, who insists on starting from scratch, is struck by a car while on location in Rome and hospitalized with a broken leg. He sees the film through to completion.

• Warner Bros. and Morgan Creek Productions announce there will be no critics' screenings for the prequel. This usually means a studio is bracing for across-the-board negative reviews.

Is this all part of an ongoing ``Exorcist'' curse, or just more bad luck tied to a franchise that really had nowhere to go?

Or, to quote von Sydow in a BBC documentary on the original ``Exorcist,'' is this just show biz as usual and ``good for publicity''?

``Curse? There is no curse, never was!'' harrumphs author Blatty with a loud, dry laugh. ``When you've been shooting over a year, it's always nice to have demons to blame.''

``It's all a crock -- it was a crock when they tried to do it years ago, and it's a crock now,'' echoes Schrader from his New York apartment.

Ellen Burstyn, who played Regan's mother in the first film and has talked openly about strange happenings on the set, isn't interested in promoting the new film. ``How can I talk about curses? I haven't seen the new movie. I'm making dinner. Call my agent.''

Scott Wilson, who played a psychiatrist in ``The Exorcist III'' and appeared recently in ``Monster'' and ``The Last Samurai,'' would love to report weird manifestations, but can't. ``I don't know that there's any kind of hex on these movies,'' his says. ``People die and drop out of films all the time. . . . I think the so-called curse is a good angle for the studio.''

Blatty, who won an Oscar for adapting his own novel in '73, traces the ``curse thing'' back to a Newsweek interview on the Georgetown set. The reporter asked director William Friedkin if he saw any connection between production woes (a fire, a supporting actor's heart attack) and the supernatural. ``Friedkin must have answered in the affirmative because that's how the whole thing started,'' he recalls. ``It made for good press.''

Though he acknowledges he hasn't worked since being axed by Morgan Creek, Schrader isn't blaming Lucifer: ``It's tabloid kind of promotion. Do you really think that anybody takes this seriously? Do you think it brings anybody into the theater? It's a mutually acknowledged stack of hooey.''

As for the latest series of mishaps, Blatty shrugs them off as pure coincidence. Harlin's traffic accident? ``You know,'' he says, laughing, ``I didn't know anything about that until I watched an `E! True Hollywood' special on `The Curse of the Exorcist' the other night.''

``Exorcist: The Beginning''

Opens Friday

Rated R: (strong violence and gore, disturbing images and rituals, language including some sexual dialogue)

Cast: Stellan Skarsgard, Izabella Scorupco, James D'Arcy, Remy Sweeney

Director: Renny Harlin

Writers: William Peter Blatty, William Wisher Jr., Caleb Carr, Alexi Hawley

Running time: 1 hour, 40 minutes
"

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
Or, to quote von Sydow in a BBC documentary on the original ``Exorcist,'' is this just show biz as usual and ``good for publicity''?
It's all a crock -- it was a crock when they tried to do it years ago, and it's a crock now,'' echoes Schrader from his New York apartment
Curse? There is no curse, never was!'' harrumphs author Blatty with a loud, dry laugh. ``When you've been shooting over a year, it's always nice to have demons to blame.''
Though he acknowledges he hasn't worked since being axed by Morgan Creek, Schrader isn't blaming Lucifer: ``It's tabloid kind of promotion. Do you really think that anybody takes this seriously? Do you think it brings anybody into the theater? It's a mutually acknowledged stack of hooey.''
Things happen on any film set- don't buy the hype!
OR feed it :D

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
I don't care if it's hype or not.... that movie is still THE most scariest movie I've ever seen yet. None compares in my opinion.... I remember I tried watching it alone (the original) a couple of years ago and coudn't get past the part where Reagan is in her mom's bed because "her bed was shaking"..... *shudders*

adblair

Fisher
Dec 5, 2003
Memphis, TN
Visit site
Believe it or not....... I've never seen the original..... or any sequels.....
Maybe I will rent it if I ever get a free moment.... :eek:

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
adblair said:
Believe it or not....... I've never seen the original..... or any sequels.....
Maybe I will rent it if I ever get a free moment.... :eek:
I would say it's a classic, "must see" movie. I don't think Linda Blair will top that one (the original movie)... She was only 12 at the time..

This link might help scare you just a little:

http://www.dicksmithmake-up.com/exorcist.htm

Last edited:

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
Haven't seen the prequel yet, but I heard it's really horrible... Not "horrible" good, but Horrible as in a really bad movie... I'd still like to check it out and make my own opinion of it.. :)

roliva

Dovii/Umbee Fanatic
Feb 23, 2004
Lehigh Valley, PA
A friend of mine saw it last week. He's the type that will scream to just about anything during a scary movie. This time he said he didn't even scream at all. He said it was gory but predictable.

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
I like the original Exorcist movie (I remember seeing it when it was the scariest thing going, with people throwing up in the theater, etc.), but the Saturday Night Live spoof was even better. Lorraine Newman (as the little possessed girl) to the Exorcist: "Your mother sews socks that smell!" Classic.

Jim

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store