cycleing tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dpmac10

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Nebraska
Visit site
what else can i use to cycle my tank i hear eveyone useing shrimp but i was just wondering what else i could use if anything.

Joey D

AC Members
Jun 15, 2003
So cal-Phoenix, Az
Visit site
Live rock will provide beneficial bacteria to help cycle your tank. Stress zyme, or some other bacterial chemical medium. Its a waiting game. If yuo want, buy a few cheap damsels, typically used for cycling because they are hardy, just avoid the aggressive ones.

wayne

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
I get really annoyed now when I see people recommend torturing damsels to cycle a tank. Unnecessarrily cruel, and totally unconscientious. And killing fish for the hell of it isn't good for a beginners morale. USe die off from the live rock. If it's in such good shape there's no dieoff , you're cycled automatically.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Although I'm not sure I'd be so strident about cycling with fish, I do agree that the live rock method is effective and less stressful for everyone.

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
Live rock is a good way to go, but I like using shrimp. After 60 days, you have a biofilter that could handle just about anything!

BrianH

AC Members
Oct 16, 2001
Oakland, NJ
photos.yahoo.com
Live rock is a good way to go, but I like using shrimp. After 60 days, you have a biofilter that could handle just about anything!
This is one advantage to using the shrimp method. However, you only gain from this if you plan on heavily stocking the tank immediately after the cycle. The bacteria population will rise and fall according to their food source(bio load). So if you stock your tank slowly(like many of us do) the bacteria population will adjust to the current bioload of the tank.

Brian

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
Didn't WetmanNY pee in his tank during cycling? That's one way to add ammonia! :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store