Cycling a New Tank - LR and LS, Fishless

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

salazaar

AC Members
Aug 25, 2003
Visit site
So all my equipment should finally be arriving by the end of the week and I'm trying to figure out exactly how I'm going to cycle my tank. I'm going to be using live rock and live sand but I don't want to kill off too much of either.
I have enough dry aragonite sand for about a 3-4" sand bed and I'm going to get between 40 and 50lbs of live rock (for a 65g tank)

My dilemma is, is that I want to have bacteria built up in the sand before I add live rock so I don't kill off any good stuff on my rock, but I know that when it comes to aquascaping you should have the live rock resting on the tank bottom, plus I've heard it's good to have the LR on the tank bottom so no dead spots form in the sand under the rock.

So what I've been thinking so far for the ordering of my cycle was this.

1)Start with a 1" layer of aragonite sand, add some bacterial starters and drop in a few shrimp from the supermarket.
Powerheads and Filter on, Lights off, Skimmer off, Temp 80
2)when nitrates drop
move sand around add in live rock (directly on base of tank)
make sure nitrates are stable
Powerheads and Filter on, Lights off, Skimmer off, Temp 80
add more shrimp if necessary
3)add the rest of aragonite sand to 3-4" and add Live Sand Activator Kit (from mail order like IndoPacificSeaFarm or other)
turn on Lights and Skimmer
4)drop temp to 76, when finally stabilized add sand sifters and fish

Does this sound like a good method.
??Or should I just start with all the LR and LS fully set up and cycle from there (how much can I really kill on the LR and LS)???

Can anyone recommend a bacterial starter for step 1. Should my lights and skimmer be off the whole time (that's what I remember reading somewhere, b/c the with the skimmer on you can defeat the purpose of cycling and with lights on you may get an algae bloom).
Are there any chemicals I need to add.
I'm planning to mix my salt water with water filtered by a tap water filter (can't afford RO), do I need to add any specific elements or chemicals in this situation.
Any other tips or suggestions.

Last edited:

always learning

AC Members
Jun 5, 2003
Visit site

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
There are not any proven SW bacteria starters--Bio Spira works in FW, but I have only heard a few people trying it in SW. Others, such as Cycle--are snake oil best avoided. If you can get a handfull of sand from a healthy tank, this is the best bacteria seed I know about. I would try for two--one when you first start, then another when nitrites show up.

Many people actually use the die off from uncured live rock to cycle with. If you go this route, I recommend doing water changes during the cycle to keep the levels low enough to prevent killing off much of the remaining life. This won't extend the cycle, since there will still be ample food for the bacteria to consume.

For placing rock, what I would do is use tufa rock, or a similar porous 'dead' rock as the base. Put this in, add the sand, and then place the live rock on top of this platform. You don't really want to bury live rock anyway--most of the critters die off when buried. Another option is to use PVC and lighting eggcrate to create a platform that rests just above the level of the sand for your live rock. Either way, your rock isn't sitting on the sand.

salazaar

AC Members
Aug 25, 2003
Visit site
I was wondering with PVC and lighting eggcrate, can you use the normal stuff that is used to glue PVC pipes together or is it toxic.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store