Cycling with Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishyfriendzz

Registered Member
Jul 7, 2018
I’m starting a fish in cycle and I want to make sure that I do it properly- I have 3 longfinned zebra danios and 1 ghost shrimp but I’m planning to get 2-3 more danios and 2 more shrimp after the cycle. Is this the correct way to do it?
1. Wait until there’s sign of ammonia and start changing 25-50% of the water everyday (with Prime conditioner)
2. After a couple weeks nitrite will show up and continue to change 25-50% of the water daily. (with Prime conditioner)
3. Nitrates will show up and that’s when your cycle is half way there
4. Continue to test water and replace 25-50% water everyday (with Prime conditioner)
5. Once ammonia and nitrite levels are constantly at 0, start to change the water 25-30% once a week. (with Prime conditioner)
Also, what do I do with the gravel and the decorations? Do I ever wash them throughout the cycle or should I wait until after the cycle to clean them? And also will the water get foggy or dirty since I’m not changing all of the tank water? Thank you

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Almost. I would start the daily WC a day or 2 after starting with fishes, 3 days at the most. I would not bother measuring Nitrates till both Ammonia and Nitrites are at zero.
The start doing the weekly WC.
The décor need never be washed, once you have started. If your tanks gets cloudy or not, will be up to the bacteria and your feeding.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I'd add some fast growing low light plants. They will help with the ammonia as well. Guppy grass is a great option.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store