Cyst/Ulcerous sore on dwarf gourami

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fungi

Knock-Out Stuff
May 6, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Cyst/Ulcerous sore on dwarf gourami (Pics, load warning)

Haven't posted here in a while, the tank's been going perfectly since then and this is the first time I've run into a problem in a while.
The stats are:
Dwarf gourami (had him for about a month and a half)
Established 15g (had it for well over a year now)
Moderately planted...
Of the 'trates and 'trites I'm unsure, I loaned my kit to a friend and haven't got it back yet, I'm buying a new one tomorrow anyway so I'll re-post when I find out, they shouldn't be too bad.
The temperature is 23°C (73 Fahrenheit)
I've been doing 30-40% WCs weekly.
Former tankmate was a borneo sucker (hillstream loach/Hong Kong pleco)

The problem is this sore looking injury on his right flank/side, it's been there for about a week with no signs of deterioration or improvement, it looks a lot like a mouth ulcer on his side and it's slightly depresses in the centre with a little bit of yellow, I'll put up pictures below when I can find my camera...

He's still behaving normally and his appetite is as good as it has ever been, I feed him flakes and pellets regularly and blood worms as a treat.

Any help/diagnosis would be greately appreciated.

IMGA0033.JPG IMGA0041.JPG

Last edited:

Fungi

Knock-Out Stuff
May 6, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Not that it's important, but it's not his right, it's his left... just correcting myself, also got some advice from a friend that my temperature is too low...
I'm hoping that may be part of the problem solved already.

Fungi

Knock-Out Stuff
May 6, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
No, not anymore, I removed the borneo sucker after the gourami tended to be a bit agressive towards him. I've changed the temperature to about 26ºC... now I'm just holding out to see if it subsides.

Fungi

Knock-Out Stuff
May 6, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
This is serving two purposes...
I think I've found out the cause of the lesion, the piece of driftwood is too close to the glass, he could have possibly scraped it as he swam past, also this may bump the thread...

I did a 50% WC this morning, yet to do a test, still haven't got a kit.
Is this wound infected?
Is it likely to become diseased?
How do I tread such a wound?

Please chip in any advice that you may have.

kimbo3311

Red-Headed, Non-Step-Child
Apr 3, 2008
Treasure Coast, FL
Really you can't do much for it... you can't "dress" a wound.. the stress coat will help...just try to keep the tank conditions optimal. If he is still eating, that is a good sign. Hopefully it will clear up on it's own.

Fungi

Knock-Out Stuff
May 6, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Ah, thanks muchly!
I'll look into getting this Stresscoat, it may go under another name down here, but it should do the same.

lazyNode

AC Members
Oct 26, 2006
Sydney, Australia
wow. my gourami has exactly the same thing! i think some angel fish attacked him when he entered the tank.

Is there anything else that can help? maybe salt or melafix?
I'm just worried that the salt will just sting the little guy.
Or maybe its worms?

Or maybe we got the gourami from the same supplier and there's a genetic problem with them? (i think my pet store gets fish from Queensland - sometimes Melbourne)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store