D.I.Y. 3D Background - How To - W.I.P.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
hmmm bandwidth limit exceeded..... wow .... 2GB already.

I might have to resize the pics even smaller (I dont like doing that tbh) to save some band.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What happened to the pics in post #18?

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
What happened to the pics in post #18?
Look above.... bandwidth exceeded on my host. they will be back at the begining of the month :D:D

long story short though, this background has been a big "waiting" process.... Its taking such a long time because of the stuff I end up buying, So I've either got to wait for payments to clear, the items to arrive, or the money to buy them, in the case of the paint and such..... as well as finding time to go to the store and pick this stuff up.

mind you, I am immensly enjoying this project, and I have amazed myself with what I have achieved.

I did spend more on it than I had anticipated, But that was due to experimenting with different things, and the cost of a sealer.

Lets review the cost roughly;

Pink Construction Foam: Mis-cut at home depot(or broken, and trimmed up) $2
Cement: Free, old cement from my dad
Grout: Free, Left over from my dad :) ... though I should have only used this instead of the cement, would have been much easier.
Expanding Foam: Free, slipped it into a purchase for work.... so they bought it for me heh
Paint: $1 each at the dollar store, I purchased about 12 of them.... god knows why. Black, White, Red, Blue, Brown would have been sufficient.
Moss: $1 at the dollar store (Dollarama)
Marine Epoxy: $40 Shipped
LEDs (To Be Added): $9.99 USD, Pack of 50 Super Bright Blue, including resistors. Will also spend $20 on a pack of 50 red as well.... nothing wrong with spares :D

All prices listed are CAD, unless otherwise stated.

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Hhhmmm...5 minutes between out posts...I swear it wasn't there when I started my reply.

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
well you will have to wait until may then :(

Sadly I cant even edit my posts to make the links pouint elsewhere... Id need to make an entirely new post.

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
I'm just waiting on some 13,000mcd super bright blue LEDs to arrive.

At which point i can figure out how the hell im going to mount them in the tubes, AND underwater, without causing any problems.

its just been sitting on top of my aquarium waiting for me to install the LEDs, and give it the coat of Max Bond LV A/B epoxy to seal it all up.

The last thing I have to do, and something I am also waiting for parts for, is the plumbing.... but ive got alot of stuff coming for that, and even more to buy..... and been a little short of cash as of late, just due to over spending on luxuries... like a year of TFH :D

Running dual 2213's will probably pull alot of water, so i'm hoping to accommidate it accordingly. my other goal, is to plumb all of this into my small stand... which as you can see from the below pictures, is quite a feat. I WILL get this plumbed in securely, easy to operate on and troubleshoot, as well as being able to simply disconnect 3 1/4" tubes to move the stand and the entire setup.

Ive got a line on the fittings I need, and a rough cost ($240 USD shipped) and I now know the thread sizes of the things im connecting, thanks to exhaustive research. :D

Now that Ive got an idea of what im going to do, I will be able to finish thisbad boy up, and post a crazy DIY thread on my plumbing setup, which will ROCK YOUR WORLD!!!!1111111 :)

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
...$240 USD....gold plated...????

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store