Dachshunds

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
Any reason it has to be a Das? I deal with dogs all day and I'd rather see a Pit or German Shep then a Das in the yard.

Are you just looking for a small dog? Pugs are good friendly easy to care for dogs that are about the same size. Beagles are good small dogs too.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Any reason it has to be a Das? I deal with dogs all day and I'd rather see a Pit or German Shep then a Das in the yard.

Are you just looking for a small dog? Pugs are good friendly easy to care for dogs that are about the same size. Beagles are good small dogs too.
I've just always liked them, not dead set on one though. And yes just looking for a small dog, if I had the room and time for a larger dog(not that a small dog won't take time) id be getting a German short haired pointer. Been around one that a family member had and it's the best dog I've ever been around.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mesto

There's a FISH in the percolator!
Apr 28, 2012
A lot of small dogs have high energy, small bladders (meaning can't last as long between potty breaks), and are terriers or related to terriers so are difficult to train and tend to be destructive. I have liked many small dogs but mainly who live with owners who train them just as much as any medium or large dog owner is expected to train his or her dog. If I lived in a very small apartment and didn't want a high energy dog, personally I would get a rescue greyhound and run them for 15 minutes a day at the park. The rest of the time they sleep like cats on the couch, curled up into very small balls. :) Then again I kept a border collie in a small apartment with no issues, so honestly I feel like depending on what the owner is willing to do with training almost anything can work. Personally if I were to look at smaller dogs I would get a mix, a mini schnauzer, or maybe a papillon, if I wanted to do agility or something. And yes, GSPs are awesome! I will admit I am a dog nerd.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
uploadfromtaptalk1347761407287.jpg
Teacup pigs :) they can be litter trained and trained to sit, lay etc like a dog
Sent from my ADR6300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1347761407287.jpg

TeaTime

AC Members
Jan 19, 2011
central PA
Real Name
Tammy
I have two friends that have always kept Dachshunds... one has the smooth-coated variety and the other has the wired-haired variety. In my opinion the smooth-coated variety is very vocal, and a bit snarky. The wire-coats seem to be a bit more laid back. Unfortunately Dachshunds are not easy to train - they aren't the type of dog that lives to please their person, they want their person to please them.

Unikorn

AC Members
Feb 9, 2012
seattle,wa
I had a mini long hair dachund growing up, he lived until he was 20 (human) years old. He had 2 major back surgeries in his life time and only bit me one time when I was little because I backed him into a corner. My dachund didn't like to play at all like a normal dog would. He was a vacuum cleaner for food scraps and loved to chew bones..that's all he was interested in. But, I have seen dachsunds who were friendly and more energetic.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
My wife just decided she wanted a small dog, so now we have a Maltese/Poodle mix. Not one I'd pick but I did insist on final say on the actual pup I have to admit this little girl is the most trainable 8 week old puppy I've ever seen. She is incredibly engaged, always looking at me or the older dog to see what to do, and picking up quickly exactly what that is.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Working at a vets office I must say back problems and temperment problems are very prevalent with das. Not a dog I recommend to people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
i must say, considering the sources, i have no doubts this information is very accurate.

however, i'm taken back quite a bit by it all.

i've lived with several dachshunds and every single one was every bit as sweet as pie. maybe a little high strung (not nippy, but energetic), but tossing a small ball around the house for 20 minutes has always proved sufficient to "wear the stink off" so to say.

personally, i've likened their disposition more to that of a cat than a dog. make them part of the family, give them lots of love, be aware and responsive to their wants and needs... and you'll receive nothing short of unfettered love and devotion. they can be lap dogs at times and want nothing but a warm spot on the couch by your side (or at your feet, in your arms, etc.), but when they want to get down and go they have no reserves about letting you know they want their space. it may seem like they're ignoring you when it comes time for discipline, but simply standing your ground with a disposition that shows your displeasure once or twice always seems to be received. not stupid dogs by any means, but they're not going to stare at you and wait to be shown the right way, typically. they'll learn from their mistakes quickly if you have a little patience and compassion, though.

IME, they tend to pick and choose their owners more than other dogs. the person who shows them more love and compassion, feeds them and lets/takes them out for walks will likely be the first person who's displeasure is received as a warning they've done something wrong and the first person sought out when it's time to cuddle. often the only person for a while until there's been enough times where that person isn't there at the very moment the pup feels it's time for some cuddling.

they really do appreciate an ample yard space for their size to explore and possibly dig up mole tunnels and such. very curious and will follow a scent as far as their physical boundary allows. without a fenced in yard, letting them out could easily lead to a situation paralleled to a senile old man lost in his own mind wandering aimlessly trying to find his way.

one place i lived, we had a doby and a dachshund. the doby was large and a little bit (understatement of the year warning) disturbed. he was purely an attack dog and had no place being in a family environment. one doby that by no means could be even the slightest bit distracted by an entire side of beef let alone a steak. only dog that ever truly scared me, and that's really saying something! however, the tiny, demure dachshund was definitely the alpha, but i've seen that napolean complex in just about every small dog breed i've ever encountered, so no surprise, really.

while i'd say definitely heed the warnings of the other members, i definitely wouldn't let them sway my decision if i truly wanted a dachshund. if you get one with a good disposition, the rewards far outweigh the negatives in my experience. knowing what i know now, i'd just find a breeder and get to know a litter... put a hold on a couple from the litter that seem to have good dispositions and visit them a few times to get to know them so i can make a better informed pick.

a couple things i really like about dachshunds is they're not your typical spiteful, pee on anything all the time, yap, yap, yap, chase your ankles to the door constantly nipping annoying little dogs. that's just my experience, though. i could be completely off the mark and the 4 i've lived with could all have been exceptions to the rules... especially since all their owners were exceptionally loving and patient with them. for what it's worth, they're one of very few small breeds i'll even tolerate let alone have a special place in my heart....

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
one place i lived, we had a doby and a dachshund. the doby was large and a little bit (understatement of the year warning) disturbed. he was purely an attack dog and had no place being in a family environment. one doby that by no means could be even the slightest bit distracted by an entire side of beef let alone a steak. only dog that ever truly scared me, and that's really saying something! however, the tiny, demure dachshund was definitely the alpha, but i've seen that napolean complex in just about every small dog breed i've ever encountered, so no surprise, really.

The "im the boss" mentality of little dogs that owners often find cute is actually a significant problem for dogs and dog owners. Since they are small and no one really cares if they try to "rule everthing" they are 99/100 times not properly trained or disciplined which makes them a hazard, not to the damage they can do but to the damage that will be done to them by a larger dog defending itself and then the owner of the hurt little dog is pissed and often the larger dog is deemed aggressive for an act of defense. I see this firsthand ALL the time at the vets and at home. One of our neighbors has a very aggressive min-pin/JRT mix that bites people and dogs alike and the owner just thinks its playing and cute, and all of our neighbor dogs that my dog and hers play with are large dogs (mines a pit mix) (other neighbors have huskyx2 and a doberman) and all tolerate it most of the time but all of our dogs have snapped at it at one point or another for actually biting them and she gets livid at whosever dog it is, when hers is clearly the problem. Should one of our dogs ever hurt hers however I have no doubt our dog would be deemed aggressive and hers the victim (please note my dog no longer plays with it because I dont want the chance of a problem). This is a huge problem universally and I am a firm believer in equality among dog breeds and sizes with reguards to responsibility and discipline.

This why the most frequent dogs muzzled at our vets office are small dogs, due to this lack of discipline and them thinking they are just the biggest toughest piece of fur out there, so please whatever dog you get do not discount its size and attitude and train and dsicipline it properly!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store