Daughter fell in tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JeffP

AC Members
Mar 26, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Hi all,

Interesting day today. I have a 110G aquarium that is in the process of being setup. My 6 year old daughter climbed to the top and was trying to jump off using two grocery bags as parachutes. Off course the glass top collapsed under her weight and she fell in.

Good news - She was not seriously hurt and the tanks was not full of water and fish.

Bad news - the corner of the glass cover made a pretty good gouge in the bottom of the tank although it does not appear to go all the way through.

Anyone have any experience with large tanks that have bottoms damaged like this? Can, or should, it be repaired?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Is it a crack, or a divot? Cracks muct be repaired, while a divot is not likely a problem, as long as it is shallow (less than half the thickness of the glass). If the divot is more than that, I would repair it. Fill the divot with silicone, press a piece of glass on top of it to make contact with the bottom, and then silicone around this patch.

superjohnny

AC Members
Dec 18, 2002
Sol
Ok, maybe it's just me, but is anyone else getting the sense that Oniongirl knows everything? She always has an answer... no matter how obscure the question.

You go girl :D

JeffP

AC Members
Mar 26, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Thanks OrionGirl,

It looks like a divet at the beginning of a scratch. Probably where the corner of the glass top impacted the bottom and then slid to the edge. I figured maybe someone might have similar experience where some rockwork may have fallen onto the bottom of the tank. I doubt too many have had their daughters (or sons) fall in.

Since it will be hidden, I may silicone a piece of glass on top of the divet/scratch anyway.

I will probably do a test fill just to make sure her overall impact didn't create any leaks at the seams.

Thanks again.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
There should be some kind of warning on grocery bags!
"Not make believe parachutes!"

Kidding..
Hope she is fine!

Can't offer anything better than what was suggested. :(

Sep 14, 2003
www.geocities.com
Wow, hope it doesn't turn out to be a leak or something. Kids do some crazy things, i used to jump off of my uncles shed using a big black garbage bag as a parachute....hmm that could explain some things..... Good thing she didn't get hurt. Good luck on repairs.

Superjohnny, Yeah man, i get that feeling too. Every time i read one of her answers i have to stop and tell myself that im not reading out of an encyclopida.....:D
I'm thoroughly convinced that she knows the answeres to all of life's questions. I know she's helped me out quite a few times w/ in depth answers. What would we do w/out her!

JeffP

AC Members
Mar 26, 2002
Syracuse, NY
I still can't believe she did that. I know she's only 6 but she's very involved with keeping our fish. In fact, we just setup a planted 5G minibow tank with neons and amano shrimp in her bedroom. She's good at feeding the fish, helping with water changes, and can do some water tests (dip stick kind). She usually takes one or more aquarium magazines to school.

It just goes to show that young children can do some unpredictable things around aquariums. The 110G tank momentarily stopped being an aquarium and became a high flat launching surface for her parachute experiment.

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
yea since its on the bottom i do what ORIONGIRL said, to fill it with silicone and place a glass plate on top just to be on the safe side since it wont get seen that much and its a good idea wouldnt want to waste/break a 110g tank.

yea she does seem to have an answer for everything and shes always right!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Did I mention that my high school nickname was Encyclopedia? And here at work, I'm known as Answer Girl? :eek:

Don't know everything--still learning, like everyone else. What ya'll don't see are the searches I run to find answers; apparently it's a good disguise. But thanks--I try!

Now if I can just get my boss to spring for a cool cape, black bustier, knee-high boots and fishnet tights.... :D

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
First the avatar...then a description of a costume...easy OrionGirl, a man could get hurt!!!:eek: :D

Can't say the kids have fallen in the tank, but I often threaten to put grocery bags over their heads and put them in the tank!;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store