Dead fishy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Onna Shinigami

AC Members
Oct 3, 2002
Tennessee
Anyone know of a fish starving themself to death? I was given some sort of tetra by a friend of my mom's (the pet store told them it was a guppy) and since I've had him he never once ate. Same food it had ate before I got it but he wouldn't touch the food. Anyone else had this problem before?

Onna

monkey_toes

"Maybe it's a hybrid"
Feb 7, 2006
Southwest Florida
That doesn't answer the question. The guppies may have adapted to poor water conditions over time. What are your water parameters?

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
Stress and/or sickness can cause a fish not to eat. Do a water test to see what is going on there. That is where you should start. If you dont have a test kit, which I am assuming you dont by your answers, you can get a very good one called Aquarium Pharmecuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit from Petsmart. If you go online and print off the online price, they should honor it instore. The online price was 13.49 and the instore price here was 27.99. Thank God for price match!!

Last edited:

Onna Shinigami

AC Members
Oct 3, 2002
Tennessee
Its possibly more due to stress, but its hard to say what was wrong with the thing. I'm pretty good getting the paramerter for water testing by looking at the fish. I do have all the tests for the tanks but atm they're packed up and at home since I'm at college and dont have anything big or expensive enough to worry about testing water.

Onna

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
Onna Shinigami said:
I do have all the tests for the tanks but atm they're packed up and at home since I'm at college and dont have anything big or expensive enough to worry about testing water.

Onna
IMO any tank with a living creature in it is worth testing the water. Why would fish in a bigger tank deserve better water?

Onna Shinigami

AC Members
Oct 3, 2002
Tennessee
True but theres the problem of getting any of the fish supplies for testing with it being over 300 miles away,bad weather conditions and a way to transport all of it to the college. The other 2 seem fine and are eating. The fish from the start hadnt looked that good and was easily stressed even while moving it from TN to CO.

Onna

LunchBox

Me fail english? that's unpossible!
Feb 7, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
I hate to beat a dead horse, but I have a hard time believing there are no LFS in colorado ;) might be somewhere close that will help cut down on the 300 mile trip eh? ;)

seriously though, without knowing the water parameters it's really hard for anyone to help you figure out what happened/is happening to your tank. you would be well served to look in the yellow pages or something and find some kind of petstore nearby to pick up a test kit so you at least know if its your water.

there are a lot of things that lack of appetite is a symptom of and many of those can be determined by knowing what chemicals are in your pets' water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store