Death by Sleeping with Rover??!! (crazy animal sickness info)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
try telling that to Skipper... or Midnight... or Stripes... Snowy would listen, maybe :)

Little scary though... maybe I will close my door every other night or so...

spypet

AC Members
Jan 12, 2011
NY, 11375
if you read the article carefully, you will realize the problems come from
insect pests your pet can bring into your home, not the pet itself. if you
have a flea/worm free indoor only cat, you have nothing to worry about.
I anyway don't sleep with my cat simply because I'm a light sleeper...

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
That was a really dumb article. Sure your dog can make you sick, but you can also get food poisoning from eating just about anywhere. You can slip and fall in the shower or get in a wreck on the way to work. Does that mean you should give in to the paranoia and lock yourself in a padded room?

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
I was wondering when this info was going to come out. It's really stupid. There are risks to everything, even going outside can kill you. All of the cases given are anecdotal, correlation does not equal causation!

I hate that the media is blowing this out of proportion. Now even MORE pets are going to be dumped at the shelter because people are germaphobic.

Zaffy

Why would ******* be censored?
Jul 21, 2008
Canyon Country, Ca.
Hey everyone! Be careful when you get in a car, sometimes they hit things and the people inside get hurt. Not very often, but it can be serious!

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
I want to live in a bubble.

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
I guess I'm knocking at death's door....

I have anywhere between 2-5 dogs sleeping with me at a time(4 are large breed) and the cat frequently uses me as a trampoline to bounce herself into the window sill several times during the night. There's no possible way to eliminate all the risks and there never has been. And I think one thing that article leaves out is the advancement of modern medicine and the ability to treat an illness that rarely pops up from pets.

And in all honesty even if there wasn't it wouldn't deter letting my pets sleep with me. Being a person with really bad anxiety, I can't express enough how much my dogs help me and make me feel calm and relaxed and over the years they've helped tone down my anxiety attacks(I have trouble breathing when I get them) So in my case the benefits outweigh the risks substantially.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
This is the one that really gets me:

A 9-year-old boy from Arizona got the plague because he slept with his flea-infested cat.
First it was New Mexico, 1974 and during an outbreak of bubonic plague.

Also this one:
A Japanese woman contacted meningitis after kissing her pet's face.
Here's more info from another article.
And in Japan the infectious disease Pasteurella multocida developed in a 44-year-old woman who admitted that she was regularly kissing her dog’s face and feeding it by transferring food from mouth to mouth.

The article is leaving out information to make it sound much worse than it actually is.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
I'm not worried.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store