Deaths after substrate change

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
In the two 10 gallons, I've had deaths and ammonia readings that weren't terrible but weren't great.

I've been really good at regular water changes lately (last couple of months after my broken foot healed) and did even more tank cleaning with the ammonia readings but it seems to get toxic really fast. I also have lots of live plants.
Any ammonia readings in a tank containing critters is terrible. Did you get ammo readings prior to the substrate change in these tanks?

Like tanker suggested, it sounds like the majority of the beneficial bacteria in this tank was in the old substrate. Maybe the filter cannot house enough for the bio load in this particular tank.

I guess big water changes and heavy doses of Prime for the meantime.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I don't think it was from disturbing the gravel bc nothing bad happened in the 15 gallon and one of the 10 gallons had no inhabitants during the change. They were only added afterwards.

I think removing the BB from substrate tipped the balance off.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Loach guy

Loach guy
Dec 20, 2013
Michigan
Real Name
Scott
Before I do a major change like that. I cycle a sponge filter to add good bacteria to the tank. It speeds up re-cycling the tank, but i'm not sure if there is any way to not have to cycle it to some extent on a substrate change. I suppose you could fill your substrate bag with tank water, shove an air-line in there and pre-cycle it. I've never tried that before, but it seems like it'd work.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Thanks but I'm not sure I understand what you're advising.

Loach guy

Loach guy
Dec 20, 2013
Michigan
Real Name
Scott
pre-cycle the substrate in the bag the substrate comes in. After you wash the substrate, leave it in the bag, and add water from one of your tanks. pump in air, and let the substrate cycle in the bag...again. i am not sure how well this would work since i have never tried it, but it seems like it would

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I have a new theory. Bc no one died in my 15 which also had the same substrate added, and I have deaths in a third tank now which didn't have the substrate added, and the rainbow fish died off one by one, and my test kit wasn't reading toxicity for any of the levels, I now believe it to be a viral infection that's spread from tank to tank through cleaning equipment. It must have started with those rainbow fish that guy never refunded me for...

And there's nothing I can do as my fish keep dying on me.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
pre-cycle the substrate in the bag the substrate comes in. After you wash the substrate, leave it in the bag, and add water from one of your tanks. pump in air, and let the substrate cycle in the bag...again. i am not sure how well this would work since i have never tried it, but it seems like it would
I don't see how that would work.

You'd need to "feed" your bag of gravel with ammonia and the only way to verify it's working would be to measure the liquid for PPM of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
In a cycled tank, either the nitrite or nitrate should be slightly higher than 0 ppm, right? I can never remember which one it is.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Ammonia and NitrIte should both be 0, NitrAte will normally be above 0 unless in a planted tank, and will be dependent on size and frequency of water changes.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Thanks! I need to commit this to memory. Almost all my tanks are planted so that's why I wasn't seeing anything besides 0 and I was wondering about that. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store