deciding if tank is overstocked?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

superstein61

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Originally posted by ChilDawg
There is NO rigidity to that guideline, IMO and IME. There are some calculators, but even they seem to be arbitrary...see the one in Aquarium Fish Monthly for an example of one that is somewhat arbitrary.

Well Childawg - I had a debate a month or so ago with a few folks here who were very rigid in applying this guideline. I argued they were wrong then - glad to see the articles you mention above

thom336

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
I use these guidelines (only not very often..and bear in mind I go by imperial gallons):

Tropicals:
2.5cm per 4.55l/1" per gal. initially, then 5cm per 4.55l/2" per gal. after six months.

Coldwater:
2.5cm per 4.55l/1" per gal.

Marines:
2.5cm per 18l/1" per 4 gal. for mixed fish/inverts; 2.5cm per 9l/1" per 2 gal for fish only.

Ponds:
25cm per 455l/10" per 100gal.

thom336

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
And I just consulted the conversions section of my diary (handy little things...) and apparently in order to convert from imperial gallons to US gallons you have to multiply imperial by 1.20095.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Interestingly enough, there is a not-so-rigid guideline for Cichlids...5 gallons to the inch seems to be widely used, but that fails to take into account the deep-bodied and chunky Cichlids being different from, say, the Lamprologines.

If I followed that when I got my shellies, I'd need a 15g to take care of a pair of Multies, and a 20g minimum for some of the larger ones...that might be a bit excessive!

optix

Rent-a-mod
Dec 30, 2002
Dayton area of ohio
Visit site
Yeah true, I forgot about shellies and some of the smaller african specie's, but as far as the bigger CA/SA I think you have to use your best judgement on how to stock your tanks because if you have 180 gallon's thats saying you have 180 inchs of fish, I doubt you are gonna put 18 green terrors in there lol.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
(I think some people might try that...I hope that they find this board in time to be stopped!!!)

optix

Rent-a-mod
Dec 30, 2002
Dayton area of ohio
Visit site
Originally posted by ChilDawg
(I think some people might try that...I hope that they find this board in time to be stopped!!!)

Yes very true... makes me wonder how many large american cichlids have perished behind this misleading. Almost makes me feel like a barbarian. If we are gonna cage these guys up and make an animal our pet I would hope we would do it with responsibility and respect for the species. I wouldn't wanna be thrown in a cage with a serial killer. Ya know what I mean. Just always happy to see the people on the board that are responsible when they don't have the necessary space, like you chilldawg, I know you have quite the dream of owning these guys but you are waiting until ya have adequate space. I wish everyone was like that.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Thanks for the compliment...I wish that everyone could read as much before they started the cichlid hobby as most of us here...that would save so many fishes (and put so many illegit fish farms out of business...)

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I'm gonna mention that that is not a shot at anyone who overstocks tanks...if they're coming here to lurk or to post, we'll help them out!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store