Desperate in need of help before I throw in the towel - Amonia issues!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Specific readings, from a liquid test kit are best. Stating something is "good" or "ok" really isn't definitive. When folks post this "Amonia 0, Nitities 0, PH normal, Nitrates good. KH and GH good" the odds are great that it is from a dip strip, IME.

David Y

AC Members
Feb 24, 2015
Ok to address the help I am getting -

1. The Filter is actually a Tetra 700 external
2. The gravel I have is quite fine
3. Most plants I have put in are growing and look healthy - some drop leaves and dissolve.
4. I only use a liquid API test kit not strips
5. Last night I did a 25% water change. Added the declorinator, salts and Bacteria (stability) after the change. Vacumed the gravel lightly getting poo and other friegn material (plant etc)
6. My readings this morning - PH 7.4. Nitrite .4, Ammonia 4.4, Nitrate 6, KH 4, GH 6, temp 27, Airstone on.
7. Last guppy now also on surface - babies still seem ok.

Next? do I do another water change tonight? 25% more? Vacum? F

Filter I checked the suction - when I put my finger of it it grabs ok - not crazy hard by def sucking, something I watch debris float past the suction - odd.

David Y

AC Members
Feb 24, 2015
Also I have very slight Algae build up on glass (very slight) do I clean this off - or does it have anything to do with the Bacteria I need? I'm praying that something happens - its getting the kids and me down....

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I'm confused where you're getting those readings...none of those increments are on the API FW master kit card.

You need to do as many water changes as possible to get those ammonia and nitrite readings down. Larger % would help immensely.

David Y

AC Members
Feb 24, 2015
I just estimated between the actual numbers on the API colour chart as they don't match exactly the colours listed with my test tube colours.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
50-60% water changes twice a day until the ammonia is at zero......cut back on the feeding severely. To be straight up, I would do almost a 100% WC, refill, wait a few hours and repeat again if you get any ammonia. Stop using the additives...use Prime at each water change for the tank volume, not the size of the WC.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Some tap water contains small amounts of ammonia if it is well water. I had this in my last house. Tested the water right out of the tap. I would test the tap water, and if ammonia is in there then you're going to have to double dose with prime and let it sit before you add it to the tank.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
David, no need to throw in the towel! If I'm reading your initial post correctly, the cause of your ammonia issues are simple. You put a bunch of fish into a tank that was not cycled! The whole cycling process takes time and a food source (ammonia). Your initial tests should have been clean because there were no live critters in your tank.

David Y

AC Members
Feb 24, 2015
Ok update -

Last Guppy make died.
10 babies still ok.
2 catfish ok
Last night I did a 75% water change.
Prime added
salts & declorinator added.
stability bacteria added.
Temp 27C

TOOK readings this morning -

Ph down slightly 6.6
Nitrite up slightly 2
Ammonia Dropped back to 2
Nitrate 6, 2PPM
Kh 5
Gh 6

Suggestions? Another 75% tonight or 100%? Won't tgat kill the bacteria I'm working in? What stage am I upto?

Appreciate all your help!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
If you want to keep the fish you have in there alive, you'll need to keep doing water changes until you see 0ppm ammonia and 0ppm nitrites. Prime will neutralize these components when dosed heavily (per the bottle), but it only neutralizes them temporarily.

I would do fin-level water changes if you can. It will have absolutely no negative effect on your cycle.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store