Diatom Filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ghost_knife

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
a Diatom filter came with my magnum 350 professional and I put it on a tank....needless to say.. I am Shocked on what I see comes out! my question is can thses be washed out or would I have to replace it. When do I wash or replace it?

Bigguppy

AC Members
May 21, 2004
With a lot of Fish
www.fishdeals.com
To clean and recharge the filter a back flushing method may be used by disconnecting the filter from the aquarium and connecting it to a water faucet. The incoming water forces the dirty water out to make sure all the waste material is flushed clean. The filter can then be recharged.

The Diatom motor should be oiled every three to four months of normal use with Diatom lubricant.

Ghost_knife

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
this is a cartrige insert. not a stand alone filter

Apr 2, 2002
New York
NS- do you mean the micron cartridge? If so you clean and reuse these by soaking them for 24 hours in a solution of 1/3 bleach. I suggest you purchase a 2nd cartridge so that you swap them when to clean. That allows for the one being cleaned to dry out thouroughly getting all the chlorine out.

You can also boost the polishing power of these by adding about a tablespoon of DE to the water outside the cart. WHen you first start it up you will get a puff/cloud of DE released into the tank. It is not harmful and vanishes quickly. IMO using this arrangement provides the best band for the buck mech filtration you can use. using the added DE will also mean you need to clean the cart more often as it traps more faster.

Ghost_knife

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
Micron filter probably. what is "DE"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store