Difference between 6,700K, 10,000K and 18,000K

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gustavo85

AC Members
Jan 23, 2008
Puerto Rico
Hi!
1) What's the difference between these three light settings?
2) Is 18,000K brighter than the 10,000K and this one brighter than the 6,700K?
3) Can one use any of these for plants? Which is better though?...for plants.

Thanks!

FastFly67

AC Members
Sep 18, 2008
SC
k rating isn't brightness, it's color spectrum
plants can only use between 5500k and 10000k iirc
if it were me, i'd go with one 6700k bulb and one 10000k bulb

FastFly67

AC Members
Sep 18, 2008
SC
Exactly. Plants (and fishes) colors respond differently to different spectrums. The more spectrum covered, the prettier the plants (at least IMO)

FastFly67

AC Members
Sep 18, 2008
SC
I don't think it matters.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
plants can use a much wider spectrum than that. it's just most plants won't do it efficiently and those numbers are a mean temperature measured according to perception of the human eye. most bulbs k ratings are a mix of several colors that amount to an overall perceived color to the human eye, hence the use of the spectral graph, par meters and pur calculations. of course both 6500k and 10,000k bulbs both utilize light below and above their "temp ranges" respectively.

in retrospect it really just is that with 6500/6700k and 10,000k you're getting no brainer bulbs that will work well without having to test par output, monitor plant health and such due to manufacturers making good plant bulbs that produce those colors.

i have seen a 12,000k bulb that was tested at pretty high par levels. don't recall who tested it, where it was found or what bulb it was.

remember k ratings are according to human perception... uv is not visible to humans... plants can and do utilize uva and uvb for photosynthesis and other physiological activities. how much so would depend on species in question of course.

i have seen arguments that 2700k light is useless for plants. this is simply not true. not that it's likely to produce great results without a lot of power but it can and will be used if provided. that's about the color of an incandescent bulb. granted it won't penetrate well enough for most tanks and the power consumption/heat vs. light output is immensely wasteful.

Canuck

AC Members
Dec 22, 2002
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
K rating is color temperature. Which as Dun pointed out is based on human perception. It's an average of the spectrums produced by a bulb (when rated accurately by manufacturers, a large assumption in many cases). If one knows the spectrum a bulb produces they can calculate the color temperature. If you know the color temperature, you still have no idea what spectrums the bulb produces. Saying a certain colour temperature bulb is needed to grow plants is like saying red cars are faster then other color cars.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store