disappearing aquarium supply?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

biggdadyapisto

AC Members
Mar 31, 2009
Florida
www.myspace.com
i was wondering if anyone else is having this problem? it seems all my lfs have gone out of business now i only have one and they aren't really on top of things. i worry i wont have any place local to go to but chains and wally.:uhoh:

feedback?

anyone from the north central florida area know where i can go?????

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
I know what you mean. I live in Brooklyn, there are a couple of places but nothing where you can go in and ask a question and get an answer that you can trust. Half the time I have to come back when someone's there who can speak english. Years ago there were aquariums in every neighborhood with the owners who knew what they were talking about. One of my favorite places was Al's Aquarium, I always got such good help from them. Good luck, there are Florida people on here, hopefully you'll find a place.

Sigrid

AC Members
Jan 8, 2011
both hands in fish tank
Real Name
Bristlenose
:headbang2: Good morning 2 everyone,
"Disappearing-Aquarium-Supply-Places..." Seems to be happening all over.

I remember hearing (while living in the Minneapolis area until 2005) that 47 aquarium stores had closed down in a 10 year span. :mad: Apparently smaller business places cannot compete with the larger chain stores. Now, that I live in an area where there is only our local Wal-Mart with pet products, I tend to travel 1-2 hours to get to well known stores. These are the stores which are known/recommended by our aquarium societies.

My recommendation: Join a local Aquarium Club/Society and support these folks with your expertice, donations...It seems in every club there are members who have an abundance of knowledge about plants and fish, therefore, stick with them. :thumbsup:

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
My LFS selections are growing. Not sure how long a few will last though.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
This is what happens when everyone decides to get equipment and dry goods through the internet to save money. Sure, its cheaper, because there's no overhead for most of those internet stores that just operate out of a warehouse. The LFS charges more to support the other things they offer, like live fish and knowledgeable employees, which are all high-overhead services. Next time you think about buying a filter or test kit online to save some money, ask yourself...is the money you are saving worth it if it means when you need a local brick and mortar store, there won't be one available?

Support local business!

/soapbox.

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
Yep, it is hard to get the selection you need from those chain stores, and I prefer to shop locally. I travel to go to the stores that have what I want, anywhere from 45 minutes to as far as 4 hours when I really want something. And if I can't find what I need, I also have things shipped to my door. Especially in winter when travel is difficult since I live in the middle of nowhere.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
There are lots of parts to "the problem" but time for blame has passed.
We need to become better fish custodians and learn to breed good fish, or we'll end up with a three chains carrying a few dozen species of fish and no other options. For the more skilled, that means learning to keep, breed, and trade pure species.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store